Velvet or ich? Please help asap

lodeop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I just woke up to my tangs having a white haze. I'm not sure if it's velvet or anything else. I have had both fish for almost 2 weeks and the store owner looked after them for 4 weeks before I picked them up and did the proper quarantine steps.
Could someone tell me what it is?? IMG-20231008-WA0002.jpg

Attachments

• VID-20231008-WA0004.mp4
    1.4 MB
  • VID-20231008-WA0000.mp4
    3.3 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

In the picture, I can see distinct white spots. Their size and distribution look like ich. Cryptocaryon. I can't see the spots in the video though.

When you say the fish were given quarantine steps, what was done with them?

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi I just woke up to my tangs having a white haze. I'm not sure if it's velvet or anything else. I have had both fish for almost 2 weeks and the store owner looked after them for 4 weeks before I picked them up and did the proper quarantine steps.
Could someone tell me what it is?? IMG-20231008-WA0002.jpg
I too not seeing velvet but crypto which is marine ich. With crypto and velvet, they treat very similar. With velvet, fish will scratch body against hard objects, lethargic behavior, Loss of appetite and weight loss, Rapid, labored breathing, Fins clamped against the body, and typically stay at the surface of the water, or remain in a position where a steady flow of water is present in the aquarium.
Treat with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off

Pvtgloss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Fortunately, I have zero experience with either, but I've read before that if you can count the spots then it's ich. Good luck

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back