Velvet or ich?

Jessl17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone tell me if this is velvet or ich? I can’t get great pictures but I woke up this morning and my dottyback and clown have this all over them. I know treatment is similar but want to know what I’m treating for before I start and treat unnecessary things. Also I know velvet is a lot more dangerous and there’s a lot more to it so I’m hoping I can figure it out before I loose all my fish. Thanks I’m advance for any help

BD821778-BE79-4F06-9DC4-76EB58092052.jpeg

488574AF-D520-4B0B-B8FF-3B9126234B33.jpeg

ACBF7868-651A-4BF9-918C-EE26DE40ADF8.png

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
giphy.gif
#WelcometoR2R
Does look like ich, but as you stated treatment for both is the same, with a 78 fallow period for your display tank to kill off all traces of the parasite.
Check out this thread here and also this one
And always remember, never treat in your display tank, always in a qt tank :)

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on the size of the spots, it does look like ich - but it looks like a moderately advanced case.

You'll want to follow Crabs McJones advice, get _all_ of your fish into a quarantine environment, ramp up copper or add Chloroquine Phosphate, and keep your display fish-free (invertebrates can stay in the display) for 76 days.

~Bruce

OP
OP
Jessl17

Jessl17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all your quick responses :) I originally thought ich as well but then started seeing pictures of velvet and thought it looked more like that. But I’m surely no expert. I have a qt tank running and put cupramine in it this morning and am going to tackle getting them all out when I get home from work. Any idea why it all popped out like that over 1 night? That’s whats confusing me.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all your quick responses :) I originally thought ich as well but then started seeing pictures of velvet and thought it looked more like that. But I’m surely no expert. I have a qt tank running and put cupramine in it this morning and am going to tackle getting them all out when I get home from work. Any idea why it all popped out like that over 1 night? That’s whats confusing me.
Have you made any changes or added anything to the tank recently?

OP
OP
Jessl17

Jessl17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you made any changes or added anything to the tank recently?
I put a watchman goby in last week and a fairy wrasse however I haven’t seen the wrasse since the night I put him in and I pulled apart my rocks last night looking for him but couldn’t find him. The goby has a couple spots on him this morning but nothing like that

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a watchman goby in last week and a fairy wrasse however I haven’t seen the wrasse since the night I put him in and I pulled apart my rocks last night looking for him but couldn’t find him. The goby has a couple spots on him this morning but nothing like that
I'm sorry you are going through this. :(

It isn't always the case, but spots from crypto (ich) normally look slightly oval while velvet looks round. To me these look oval but it could be camera blur.

OP
OP
Jessl17

Jessl17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry you are going through this. :(

It isn't always the case, but spots from crypto (ich) normally look slightly oval while velvet looks round. To me these look oval but it could be camera blur.
Thanks yea its So hard to get a good picture I actually had to stop the video I took to get these because I can’t get a picture he just flys all round the tank. It’s annoying that’s for sure but I know velvet kills a lot faster than ich so I guess I will find out soon enough

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I am out numbered here. Hard to tell from pics for certain. I suspect velvet based on the hefty number of spots/coverage that appeared overnight. Being a Dottyback (smaller fish) the spots look too small to be ich to me.

@Humblefish
@4FordFamily
@Big G

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spots do look big, but the quick onset would have me treating it as velvet.

Treatment is the same, except if it is velvet you need to act very quickly...

Good luck

OP
OP
Jessl17

Jessl17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I am out numbered here. Hard to tell from pics for certain. I suspect velvet based on the hefty number of spots/coverage that appeared overnight. Being a Dottyback (smaller fish) the spots look too small to be ich to me.

@Humblefish
@4FordFamily
@Big G
Ok so this was my thought too because I have dealt with ich before and I have never seen that many or seen it that bad so quick before. And the dottyback has almost a cloud like color over him so his color looks faded

OP
OP
Jessl17

Jessl17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spots do look big, but the quick onset would have me treating it as velvet.

Treatment is the same, except if it is velvet you need to act very quickly...

Good luck
So maybe I should also add this picture is zoomed way in to get the best picture I could

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so this was my thought too because I have dealt with ich before and I have never seen that many or seen it that bad so quick before. And the dottyback has almost a cloud like color over him so his color looks faded

Treatment is the same essentially. With velvet you just need to get all fish in that tank into QT immediately bring CP or copper to the therapuetic level over next 48 hours.

Weikel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man these diseases are one of the worst parts for reefing... when I had marine velvet in my tank it looked more like a light dusting over the whole fish.. and not to be Debbie downer but if it is velvet you will know soon enough bc it moves so fast and usually kills all the fish within a couple days.. hopefully it's ich and you can put the fish in a qt and treat them..

OP
OP
Jessl17

Jessl17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man these diseases are one of the worst parts for reefing... when I had marine velvet in my tank it looked more like a light dusting over the whole fish.. and not to be Debbie downer but if it is velvet you will know soon enough bc it moves so fast and usually kills all the fish within a couple days.. hopefully it's ich and you can put the fish in a qt and treat them..
I know

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 124 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back