velvet or ich

nkarisny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought i had ICH but now i think velvet. i could count spots earlier now its like powdered sugar cant count! My question is should treat porcupine puffer and emperor angel w cooper or transfer method. i like these fish alot dont want to kill. Puffer has had for over three weeks emperor angel about two weeks.

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both methods work for ich, but if you think this is velvet, should do copper. TTM is really only for ich, unless you reduce the tank transfer time to 36 hours instead of 3 days (per humblefish).

In regards to TTM vs copper for ich. I have done TTM a lot in the past, and have just done copper treatment recently. My opinions having down both: TTM is more labor intensive, but for the less experienced, it's easier not to mess up and kill fish. Copper is easier in terms of labor, but you have to test frequently, and watch your ammonia levels. There will be differing opinions, but I almost never lost a fish doing TTM, and going through copper at therapeutic levels recently I lost a couple fish.

In terms of equipment, TTM needs more equipment (you need two sets of tanks , heaters and airpumps), but to copper you need to get test kits and reagents (would highly recommend the Hanna). TTM requires more water, obviously.

Hope this helps.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 27.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back