Venting a Swim Bladder: Black Cap Basslet

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really think this should be stickied. It's a great "how to do it right". That way it's easy to find when people are looking for what to do.

OP
OP
RMS18

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 14 Update

I was able to video him closer for you all. He is still doing good from what I can see, I feed him twice a day morning and night. He is currently eating brine shrimp only, I have tried worms, and a meaty mix. Another week, week and a half in qt I think is right. Thanks so much for the support and feedback!

OP
OP
RMS18

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI; thread has been stickied! :)
That is great! If you would like i can type up a step by step and have you paste it in my first post. Being my first time I was more concentrated on the procedure than being a good narrator. Some of the steps I didn't make clear what I was doing.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is great! If you would like i can type up a step by step and have you paste it in my first post. Being my first time I was more concentrated on the procedure than being a good narrator. Some of the steps I didn't make clear what I was doing.

Great Idea!

OP
OP
RMS18

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 16 Update
While doing a water change I caught the little guy exploring, so I went into sniper mode and slowly crawled up to the tank and was able to capture this footage.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your blown! He totally spotted you lol I'm so glad to see him doing so well. amazing! I'd love to see your write-up on your step-by-step of how you did this.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A step by step would be great. You can PM it to me and I'll add it to your OP.

OP
OP
RMS18

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your blown! He totally spotted you lol I'm so glad to see him doing so well. amazing! I'd love to see your write-up on your step-by-step of how you did this.
I'll put it together tomorrow then send it to humblefish... looks like he has some pull around here to have it pasted on my original post.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll put it together tomorrow then send it to humblefish... looks like he has some pull around here to have it pasted on my original post.

Yeah he's pretty boss like that. ;)

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Step by step instructions added to the first post. Many thanks to @Bmwm235i for providing this! :)

laineyg6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was incredibly brave and well done of you! Kudos on your intensive research and hard work. I was on the edge of my seat!! LOL

OP
OP
RMS18

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 23 Update

Performing the last water change! In 3 days I am 99.9% sure the little guy will be going into the dt tank! I'm very excited but at the same time worried and hope he does well in there. I have been trying so hard to get a good picture of him but he won't even let me record him eating anymore. Only comes out when I'm not around the tank, strange. He is still eating very well. The past week when the lights are out I see him going in and out of all the pvc exploring.

uploadfromtaptalk1448324637543.jpg

OP
OP
RMS18

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One last follow up, he is still doing great. A few days after going into the dt he had some kind of white growth on his left gill on the inside, thought it might have been lympho but it was very thin and smooth looking. But it has since gone away. He is settling in and after trying to steal the flasher wrasses den and getting kicked out at night when the flasher goes to sleep I caught the little guy digging his own den today. I shared this whole process with one of my lfs (actually the one that has given me some of the worst advice) and helped them out with a Anthias that they had for about 3 months with a swim bladder problem last week. From what I know it's still alive.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Keep sharing the knowledge! :)

In this hobby, a lot of things don't always go our way. But I've found if you have a "victory" like this you can savor it will sustain you thru the rough patches.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 60 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.4%
Back