Vermetid snail HOW to kill them help!

Arthurfarris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prevention is better than cure, as they say. The occurrence of snails as such can sometimes not be prevented, and in some ways, even desirable. Avoid overfeeding your pet fish, for excess food will be consumed by snails. Healthy snails will multiply rapidly, causing an infestation. Overhaul your fish tank and clean everything, even the gravel, rock, and sand. In small numbers, snails are beneficial to the fish tank.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not about excess food. When my fish crap, little particles float everywhere.

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that avoid overfeeding is silly because of you starve out the vermatids, everything else in your tank will suffer.

Hopefully someone will find something that kills them voraciously.

Losthawk69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To many species I think the very small ones are ugly to see but I never have issues with them but did with the sheep horn kind that put out a web you can see across the room my sps grow right over the small kind there size around 1 cm put out hair size web never an issue and had them for years some die off but new one pop up you can make a little wire hammer with thick gage stainless steel wire rods crack at them over time and small fish will just eat them. Only other way is break your tank down and if coral are not affected by them why bother.

Losthawk69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a long-term quarantine to watch if they grow in quarantine and I mean months of time long-term quarantine for any Coral is a bright idea this way nothing gets in mean display tank that's the best solution good 6 months lots of patience lol

Losthawk69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a long-term quarantine to watch if they grow in quarantine and I mean months of time long-term quarantine for any Coral is bright idea this way nothing gets in mean tank the best solution 6 months lots of patience lol

Losthawk69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a long-term quarantine to watch if they grow in quarantine and I mean months of time long-term quarantine for any Coral is a bright idea this way nothing gets in mean display tank that's the best solution good 6 months lots of patience lol

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess if you have some very turbulent water flow in spots where they are they wouldn't be able to hold onto their food webs and starve.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess if you have some very turbulent water flow in spots where they are they wouldn't be able to hold onto their food webs and starve.
I've seen them clog pipes and take residence in the bottom of a skimmer, so it would have to be very turbulent.

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen them clog pipes and take residence in the bottom of a skimmer, so it would have to be very turbulent.
Yes i agree. With my 1" rfgs on my tank they seem to be making some decent turbulence. Using a pressure rated pump on them though. I cant spot their webs as much now. Might be a solution.

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more thing ive noticed is when their webs get coated with too much stuff their webs become heavy enough to dislodge with decent flow. Perhaps thats how reef snow product worked, simply made their webs too heavy to hold onto.

4sylvester

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone who thinks these guys aren't a problem... pipe from my overflow box

1644866429593.png

1644866506840.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
For anyone who thinks these guys aren't a problem... pipe from my overflow box

1644866429593.png

1644866506840.png
These look like tube worms which emit fans to capture foid
Vermetid have larger tube and openings and use a web like string to capture food

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These look like tube worms which emit fans to capture foid
Vermetid have larger tube and openings and use a web like string to capture food
Those are the smaller vermentid worms. I have both the large and small.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 69 34.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 51 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 63 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back