Very New To This ...Need help

juliatank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys. I'm taking care of my wife's tank, because she has been working so much. So I'm basically just monitoring water levels, and doing water changes and feeding the fish, but I'm starting to notice a small territory problem breaking out between two corals.

There is a red bushy looking coral that is growing VERY fast, that seems to be overtaking and probably will eventually consume what looks like a Kenya tree coral that I have come to love. Can anybody give me any idea what the bushy coral might be? It seems to be starting to actually GROW on the Kenya coral, and there is definitely some discoloration happening where the two are touching. I REALLY want to keep the Kenya, and I don't know how to move it out of the way now.

Any ideas folks?

IMG_2128.jpg IMG_2129.jpg IMG_2130.jpg IMG_2131.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi guys. I'm taking care of my wife's tank, because she has been working so much. So I'm basically just monitoring water levels, and doing water changes and feeding the fish, but I'm starting to notice a small territory problem breaking out between two corals.

There is a red bushy looking coral that is growing VERY fast, that seems to be overtaking and probably will eventually consume what looks like a Kenya tree coral that I have come to love. Can anybody give me any idea what the bushy coral might be? It seems to be starting to actually GROW on the Kenya coral, and there is definitely some discoloration happening where the two are touching. I REALLY want to keep the Kenya, and I don't know how to move it out of the way now.

Any ideas folks?

Its Pom Pom xenia and yes will grow quickly as long as its not overtaking coral - enjoy its appearance

OP
OP
J

juliatank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its Pom Pom xenia and yes will grow quickly as long as its not overtaking coral - enjoy its appearance
Thanks so much, Vetteguy! So should I get that Kenya tree out of it's way? because it looks like it's actually infecting it, somehow. I don't know if my wife would prefer that or not. haha

I did some research, on behalf of my lady, and it seems like the Kenya tree could be transplanted relatively easily, but there are actually stalks of that Xenia growing OUT of the tree at this point....

YReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Any ideas folks?

welcome

OP
OP
J

juliatank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the kenya tree attached to? Is it on a plug or a piece or rubble or straight on the rock work?
Hi Crimson. Yeah, actually now that you mention it, (I didn't see her install it originally,) I believe that it was on a plug... My wife usually superglues the plug right onto the rock.

OP
OP
J

juliatank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the warm welcome, everybody! I didn't know anything about salt water tanks until my wife started hers back up, and now I find this stuff completely fascinating! :). I think I like the tank more than the rest of the household at this point. lol

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Crimson. Yeah, actually now that you mention it, (I didn't see her install it originally,) I believe that it was on a plug... My wife usually superglues the plug right onto the rock.
If it is still on the plug you can just rip the plug off and move the lenya tree attached to the plug to somewhere else.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 39 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 147 74.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back