Vet in SF Bay Area for CP prescription?

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any San Francisco Bay Area reefers who've been able to find a vet willing to write a prescription for CP? I've tried five different ones so far (all East Bay); four of them "don't deal in fish stuff" and the fifth won't write a prescription for me - and even suggested I just get it from Home Depot instead (?!?)...

I'll keep expanding my search if needed, but if I can shortcut the process with a nice referral, all the better...

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried printing all the info on it for them? It gives them some solid research and reasoning behind why you need it and may help you get their help. I dont know anybody in that area, but maybe somebody can give you a good place to start again.

OP
OP
DLHDesign

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestion, Meredith. So far, I've been calling instead of driving all over the place. With the four "no fish" places, they just don't have the staff that would be able/willing to help, even with all the info. Which is fair.
The one place that does deal in fish, I only got to talk to the tech at the front desk - everything got relayed to the doctor through her. Nice enough person, but I think something got lost in translation... Whether I find someone else or not, I do plan to bring in the printouts suggested next time I'm in that area in an effort to "spread the word".

After calling our emergency vet (which we've - sadly - had to use multiple times for our dogs...), I got a referral to another vet that deals in fish. This time, I made sure to spell out in more detail what I'm looking for and mentioned the offer to provide more info (something I didn't do last time).

For some reason, I figured this would be a slam-dunk process:

Me: "Hi <vet who deals in fish>, I need a chloroquine prescription, please."
Vet: "Well, of course you do! That stuff is SO much better than copper. Do you have a source already?"
Me: "Why, in fact, I do - they have great referrals and guarantee purity."
Vet: "Oh - great; let's get your info and get that started..."

*sigh* My little imaginations are much less stressful than reality, let me tell you...

OP
OP
DLHDesign

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh. The latest vet wants to see a sick fish before they will give me a prescription for anything. And then they referred me to a LFS that I know can not help me.

So... back to the drawing board. It's looking like I'll have to go into one of the two places and show them the paperwork and such; it kind of feels like I'm not going to get an over-the-phone prescription. Which, when I think about it, is likely for the best...

willieboy240

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. They won't do it. Vets don't care about fish. I called all over about 10 years ago trying to get that med for the red bugs. No one would help. You have to have a dog and be good friends with the vet. Other than that your sol. Unfortunately. Try mail order or buy it from someone who has it.

Back