VIBRANT!!!!!! Alagaecide

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algaefix says to keep it away from freshwater snails, shrimp etc. And if it's the same stuff, well probably a good idea to avoid those. No idea if being in a marine setting has any reduction in toxicity. I suppose if things are eating the poisoned organisms, all bets are off.

Edit - considering the algaecide attaches to algae, would this not be considered as concentrated?

I would expect a reduction is effectiveness in saltier water. It interacts with membranes and tissues by ionic charge, and high concentrations of other ions will interfere with that interaction.

Gigajoulz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few years ago there was a huge stir in the community after someone took Vibrant and ran it thru some testing instruments and determined it's signature exactly matches that of Algaefix. The bottle, at the time, claimed that it was bacteria, as if it were a form of carbon or bacterial dosing, when it was straight up algaecide.

I started using it on my first reef tank and nearly all of my softies died from it. I have not seen the new bottle yet, but it was straight up false advertising. There is NOTHING alive in that bottle.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back