Vinyl tubing return?

MattR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will be building a rack system shortly that will hold about 15 10 gallon tanks and I have never done anything like it before. I was online looking at videos to get some inspiration and saw this idea for overflow plumbing. Its not hard plumbed PVC but rather vinyl tubing that loosely falls into a PVC return pipe. Since I am completely new to plumbing I wanted to know of any possible issues to transfer this idea to the saltwater side. I would slightly alter this so that the vinyl tube sits deeper and the T fitting isn't so wide to reduce splashing and salt creep. Thanks in advance

1708549355013.png

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i'd assume salt creep would be the biggest concern. or one of the lines somehow coming out of the PVC tubing, but i suppose it depend son how you configure it?

ScottieB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets see the progress along the way!!

I have a similar freshwater rack of about 12 tanks (10g,20gL and 40Breeders) and just use a large blower and sponge filters. But I had considered drilling them and I came across a similar idea. From what I researched, the big issue seemed to be the thinner glass on the 10g do not do well when there is hard PVC putting tension on the back panels. Lots of folks had issues with the glass breaking. So I Imagine this method alleviates the stress on the glass but you will get crazy salt creep. Burying the vinyl tube might help a little.

I have a saltwater set up with 3 individual 40B and each tank has its own vinyl drain down to the sump. I didn't combine them into one drain tube for fear of a clog overflowing all the tanks. 15 tanks would make this not exactly practical though.

Not sure I'm helping just some food for thought.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With my experience, vinyl tubing starts to get really hard when exposed to all the elements in saltwater. A better alternative would be silicone tube.

I can't say much about the example you shared except my concern would be what happens when the pvc pipe clogs and prevents water to flow freely? You'll have to account for that.

PharmrJohn

Maker of Enchiladas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot remember why (as I have been out of the game for a LONG time), but PVC is what I chose back in the day and I KNOW I had a good reason to go that route. Be careful.

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'd assume salt creep would be the biggest concern. or one of the lines somehow coming out of the PVC tubing, but i suppose it depend son how you configure it?
Thats what Im thinking, I figure if I use 1/2 return (vinyl) and I have it go into a half-inch T and it sit pretty flush

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets see the progress along the way!!

I have a similar freshwater rack of about 12 tanks (10g,20gL and 40Breeders) and just use a large blower and sponge filters. But I had considered drilling them and I came across a similar idea. From what I researched, the big issue seemed to be the thinner glass on the 10g do not do well when there is hard PVC putting tension on the back panels. Lots of folks had issues with the glass breaking. So I Imagine this method alleviates the stress on the glass but you will get crazy salt creep. Burying the vinyl tube might help a little.

I have a saltwater set up with 3 individual 40B and each tank has its own vinyl drain down to the sump. I didn't combine them into one drain tube for fear of a clog overflowing all the tanks. 15 tanks would make this not exactly practical though.

Not sure I'm helping just some food for thought.
Thanks or the input! If I plan on going this route I will use a 1inch plumbed return and a 3/4 overflow (probably the lifeguard aquatics strainer kit for each). The main return overflow line will probably be slightly angled to help bring down water into the sump

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot remember why (as I have been out of the game for a LONG time), but PVC is what I chose back in the day and I KNOW I had a good reason to go that route. Be careful.
If you remember why please let me know! Thanks

FMF0331

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be afraid of that method, my luck the vinyl hose would pop out.
I would just buy tee fittings and a barb connector
barb.jpg

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be afraid of that method, my luck the vinyl hose would pop out.
I would just buy tee fittings and a barb connector
barb.jpg
Not a bad idea! Stupid question but do they make t fittings that are just threaded at the stem and then the other 2 sides are slip?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.6%
Back