Vita chem vs. Selcon vs. AcroPower

Which vitamin supplement do you like best?

• Vita-chem

Votes: 19 27.5%
  • Selcon

Votes: 38 55.1%
  • AcroPower

Votes: 12 17.4%

• Total voters

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surprised that no one from the AcroPower crowd has weighed in.

I don't have any personal experience with the acropower, but from reading up a little bit about it it seems to be more of an amino acid supplement that you dose as opposed to vitamins for soaking food. The vitachem and selcon do have some aminos but are more a vitamin soak. Like I said this is just my observation. I would like to hear from from those using it if any of them use it to soak food.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't have any personal experience with the acropower, but from reading up a little bit about it it seems to be more of an amino acid supplement that you dose as opposed to vitamins for soaking food. The vitachem and selcon do have some aminos but are more a vitamin soak. Like I said this is just my observation. I would like to hear from from those using it if any of them use it to soak food.

Cool! I didn't realize the difference. Would it do any good to use it as a soak in addition to the vitamins?

rdevoe11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, acropower is geared more towards amino acid dosing for corals, though I cant speak to the effects it may or may not have on other livestock. Ive been using acropower on my 40b for about 3 weeks now, but unfortunately cant give any viable "results". I started daily dosing of acropower the day after my first sps frags went in the tank. My PE has been fantastic since day 1, with the exception of a stubborn WWC silver surfer acro lol. There is a pretty good thread with results and such under the General SPS Discussion board titled "power up your acros" if you're interested in reading more!

I guess Id have to stop dosing for a few weeks or months to do a comparison...not likely to happen since everything seems to be happy lol.

I should also mention I ONLY feed Roggers Reef Food complete blend plus and the signature coral blend. As you may already know, they are vitamin fortified with Selcon.

Last edited:

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used vita-chem and selcon. And never noticed any difference in the color or health of my fish. I'm going to try some red krill oil as a food soak and see how that works.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Vita-Chem. It has helped both a problem moon brain frag and some fish having issues with their fins. Not sure what else it may have done, but you have to remember that not all important benefits are visible ones!

ryecoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so far the best advice ive been getting to create the magical concoction would be "Oyster Eggs, Roggers, Vita-chem, Cyclops"? Should this do the trick?

mfama417

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use all 3, my frozen food is soaked in vita-chem, selcon, and garlic. Acropower is dosed daily for the corals as its an amino supplement

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use all 3, my frozen food is soaked in vita-chem, selcon, and garlic. Acropower is dosed daily for the corals as its an amino supplement

Awesome! Why do you use both vitamin supplements? I'm guessing you see a significant difference in them that warrants using both.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I'm concerned about in using multiple products is the potential for overdosing certain vitamins, such as A, which can cause major problems.

ryecoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oyster Eggs, Roggers, selcom, Cyclops, and Acropower?

ryecoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is it bad to always switch vitamins and supplements?

mfama417

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Why do you use both vitamin supplements? I'm guessing you see a significant difference in them that warrants using both.

I do think they approach the problem in different ways. I fell selcon is more of a immune system booster while vita chem does more for coloring up (like one a day vitamins for humans) I just use a couple of drops of both and have good results so I see no reason to switch.

To respond to the other question I don't think it would be bad to switch from one to another.

Feathers&Frags

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used AcroPower when I first started doing sps. I was not impressed. I researched more and found Salifert Coralline AminoAcids. It's been around a long time so I decided to give it a try. after two doses (once per week) I noticed the polyp extension on my acros was getting longer. Now my corals look amazing! I've been using SCAA for about a year and I won't look back. Too bad you didn't include this in your selection!

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe it's a bit difficult to know how much you're dosing when your vitamin is mixed with food. might be just best to soak your DIY food or other in few drops of whatever vitamin you choose to add for 10 min before a feeding.
I tend to use whatever vitamins I can find and alternate them. There's always a bit of difference in components which IMHO justifies mixing vitamins. when I used to make my DIY food and add vitamins to it I would specifically make 2-3 mixes:
-Coral mix with Amino acids or other coral foods.
-Fish food mix with any fish vitamins I had on hand.
-New fish mix with smaller pellets in the blend and some brine shrimp and worms (I feed less of this in Dt but would feed new fish as it entices them to start feeding) and would add some Entice, Garlic Guard...
As said I now just soak the food in whatever additives in the morning and feed 2-3 times throughout the day.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 31 34.4%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 50 55.6%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back