Vodka dosing question

tj51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those who are vodka dosing.....I'm 10 days into my dosing and yesterday started in on a cyano bloom. I've read that it is not all that uncommon, however I'm stumped on how to deal with this. I have chemiclean, but I would have to turn off the skimmer for 24 hours and with the dosing I'm getting more skimmate than usual. Will the vodka eventually kill or feed the cyano, and should I risk to chemiclean and no skimmer? Tested nitrates today and under 20 ppm.

nahtanoj

i like fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the vodka is feeding the cyano. as you stated pretty common to have a bloom. mine went away on it's own after about 3 weeks. you can not stop running a skimmer while dosing vodka, so chemiclean is not a good idea IMO. if you don't skim out the bacteria you are growing in the water column you will have problems. as your nitrates and phosphates drop you will se a decrease in the cyano. good luck, and remember to take it slow with the vodka.

OP
OP
tj51

tj51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thx for the advice.....I have a 42 gallon, so at this point I'm doing .8 ml per day, Saturday will go to 1.3

msman825

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why are you having such a hard time getting your nitrates down. do you have crushcoral as a substrate what kinda skimmer you running

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 65 40.4%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 81 50.3%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back