Voter ex XL de filter questions and related challenges

Reefomatic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening and happy holidays ....

I have perhaps a strage question and a difficult mind teaser....

System :

375 gallon das aquarium , steel stand and 120g sump.
Equipment : 2l all In one Skimming 6000sss with neck cleaner and 36" life reef , somthimes.
Parameters always zero phosphate fluctuate between 0.00 and 0.06. , alk 138 dkh , mag, 1440' calcium 440.
Viniger dosing - 140ml per day ( 10ml day lite and 1 ml night time per hour)
About 3/4 pound activated cargo in reactor.
Setup 6 months .... All new rock couple pieces as seed for another 200g tank.
Switched from ca reactor to two part untill demand is up.

Contrabution factors...
Large fish load ....
1 x 6" clarion
1x 10inch emporer
1x 4" Hawaii fan tale file fish.... Had some anenome issue couple months ago ... Todate model citizen ,... Excepting zoa, but for both clarion and emporer to- unbelievable to two lage anges devour toadstools ..... ???? Did not see that comming.
1x 7" 2 tangs...
2x large saddleback clown with neon green carpet.
Cleanup crew...
Loads of anthias, cromis , etc etc so well stocked....
Circulation provided by dc return pumps' 2 x mp60 and new maxpect gyre 50w.

Backround : upgraded from 200 cube because emporer got to big. No swim space Sps were taking over... The 375 8' is aquascaped in the back corners so the front and middle offer loads of swim space. Ran ZEO for a while bare bottomm but could not realy see the differance in the 400 and 200 in sps growth and color, so I when back to the trusted viniger as not wiort the price of ZEO in my opinion and 1.5 inch fine sand bed.

As we progress in the hobbie I wanted achieve the mistical tank,... The jeti of fish keepers, to be able to have large fish load over feeding and low nutrients for sPS, easier said than done ....The 200 was easy as kept the fish load to emporer, purple tang and saddle back clowns. Now however I am struggling....

The waist the the larger fish produce is astonishing, the emperor deificates almost his own body weight every day,...

The only way I can keep the water crystal clear is with the vortex filter,... I primeperarly used this in my water changes with , activated carbon powder and De,... Astonishing the dirt it pulls out of newly mixed salt and have had a tank crach in the past from " issues in salt mix" as I use the cheap stuff the Orange box... and use muric acid in mixing tanks with airs tones ... Have been for years... Small amounts needed , to match , alkalinity at 138 dkh.

So here are the questions :

1) sps do not do well in this tank,... After about 4 moths of cycling and settling in I started adding frags from the 200 with plans to move over all sps gradually. The frags don't do well and I have stn from the bottom up ... On most frags some ORA pieces have polyp extension ...and show moderate to no growth... I have tried everything from feeding , to lighting to everything.... I'm totally perplexed.... As to what the issue is ...
One theory is that the sand I added 2 month ago was live sand and consequently a heavy diatom bloom. Followed by nutrient Rush in the Dieoff, some coral browned and some BTA browned to from the increased carbon to rectify.. And this is persisting in some patches on the sand after 2 months,... I have concluded that there must have been a high concentration of silica in the sand and I should have cleaned and run separately , for a month or two before adding.... Can this be my issue ?... I have tested this and purchased some ORA , digitata frags as this will basically grow anyware... Right ...? Well it's struggling in my 400 gallon... LPS are over extended , gold torches and gold hammers, also added a cheap single head of green tip torch and its thriving ... Zoa are open , GSP , are open ,... Monti is growing.... Just the expensive sps don't like this tank,.... I should add I don't have Alk swings,.... Excepting in the hanna Alk checker that I belive is common so I have several manufactures test to verify. Another theory is that the toadstool is effecting the sps as it does not look to healthy in the Refurgium... But it was a show piece over 15" in diameter.

Anyone have any possible culprits .... Suggestions or additional questions. Appresiate any insite you could offer me or possible culprits.

Need to add I use a rodi unit with zero tds output, also recently purchased 3 months two blue rain water barrels from Home Depot "food grade" but has a heavy bubble gum smell on the inside...?

Thanks for taking the time to read this long post... And excuse and grammar or spelling mistakes

ReefCartel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I notice you said the tank has been set up for only 6 months. From what ive came across with Tanks over 200g it takes longer for the tank to mature and be able to keep SPS. Especially with all the mixed corals you have in such a short period of time..

OP
OP
R

Reefomatic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes 99% all dry rock, ... Thanks for the reply ,.... Hope that's the case,... Suppose ony time will tell. I had used two 12 month old marine pure 8x4 blocks in the sump to jump start the tank, had a long cycle 1 month and introduced the fish over 5 months.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back