Want to startup a reef tank

FishAndBitcoin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am a truck driver out 2 weeks and home 3 days and I want to start up a reef tank. I have a 55 gallon and wondering if that tank is good enough. Idk where to start besides water, reef salt, live rock and bacteria in a bottle… I would also need ATO, auto feeding, do I need a sump? I would honestly like a few fish, corals, and nems. What lights are recommended, filter, cycle times and such. All around in need of help, advice and suggestions

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am a truck driver out 2 weeks and home 3 days and I want to start up a reef tank. I have a 55 gallon and wondering if that tank is good enough. Idk where to start besides water, reef salt, live rock and bacteria in a bottle… I would also need ATO, auto feeding, do I need a sump? I would honestly like a few fish, corals, and nems. What lights are recommended, filter, cycle times and such. All around in need of help, advice and suggestions
The work schedule would make starting and maintaining an aquarium tough even for someone who had expertise in this hobby. These things are more like dogs than cats in terms of attention they need.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-supreme-guide-to-setting-up-a-saltwater-reef-aquarium.138750/

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, I would get a canister, especially with you being out. Ease of mind about any possible flooding etc etc with a sump.....

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
This is a system which requires daily checkups and feeding. You dont want to depend on automation in the event of power or equipment failure

OP
OP
F

FishAndBitcoin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The work schedule would make starting and maintaining an aquarium tough even for someone who had expertise in this hobby. These things are more like dogs than cats in terms of attention they need.
That is true I currently have a 100 gallon freshie tank that my mother in law takes care of when I’m on the road

OP
OP
F

FishAndBitcoin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is true I currently have a 100 gallon freshie tank that my mother in law
This is a system which requires daily checkups and feeding. You dont want to depend on automation in the event of power or equipment failure
got any ideas how I can make it happen adequately

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
That is true I currently have a 100 gallon freshie tank that my mother in law

got any ideas how I can make it happen adequately
A controller is helpful however in your absence, if something changes, you wont be home to tend to them.

Back