Wanted - Flatworm Toxin Neutralizer

MegaZombi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys.

Red planaria flatworms. They suck right? We know that there are proven products that can kill them off. I'm lookin at you Flatworm Exit and Flatworm RX.

The problem from using these products is that dead flatworms release their toxins into your tank, and can end up killing off your fish and corals.

The typical advice everyone gives before using these products is to syphon out what you can from the tank, turn off your skimmer, use the product, then add carbon and finish off with a waterchange. I'm not keen on this approach because it's a lot of friggen work, and you can't guarantee following this process will keep your livestock safe. I've followed this process to the T and even went overkill on the carbon and waterchanges, but there is always a casualty whenever I use it.

I want a better solution. I have blankets of flatworms on the bottom of my tank. I mean it. Blankets. They cover everything, in a thick layer. If I blow on the bottom of my tank there's a blizard of them in the water column. I've tried syphoning them out prior to using Flatworm Exit, and it's futile. In fact I bought a Fluval FX6 and rigged up a syphon tube just for this purpose. It was crazy to see the pure white foam filters turn orange from the toxins in these things. I still didn't even make a dent in the population in my 180 gallon tank, but yet I dosed, and yet again, there were casualties.

I think aquarists everywhere hate the Flatworm Removal and Detox process, hate the pests, and like me, want a better way. I assume that there is likely a way to neutralize these toxins chemically, but no one has come up with a product yet. I want a Flatworm Toxin Neutralizer.

Are there any chemists (or whatever) in the house that know what these toxins are and the likelyhood that a Flatworm Toxin Neutralizer product can be developed?

Wouldn't it be awesome if you could kill all your flatworms with product A, neutralize the toxins instantly with product B, and then call it a day?

I would pay serious money to the person, or company who can deliver this product to me. Please!

Last edited:
OP
OP
MegaZombi

MegaZombi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the link. So they think it is Tetrodotoxin? The same stuff in pufferfish and ringed octopuses. No known cure. Doh!
Wikipedia has a boatload of information about other organisms with this toxin. They mention nassarius snails, crabs, and even angelfish! The ocean really is a dangerous and fascinating place!

I still want a Flatworm Toxin Neutralizer. lol.

Last edited:

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back