Wanted - SPS Skeleton

Chelsey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Relatively shortly I will be getting a mantis that naturally tunnels into large sps skeletons, specifically pocillopora and stylophora. Since I do not have either of those types of coral and have not had any of them die on me, I do not have any skeletons laying around for this little guy to hang out in. While he won't die without it, I think it'd be kind of cool to have as natural a habitat as possible for him. The mantis will be roughly 2.5" long when I get him but the maximum size for these guys is 4.5". I know this is a relatively long shot, but does anyone have a decent sized stylophora or pocillopora skeleton laying around? I'll take what I can get, but if you've got one ~8" in diameter that would be perfect :)Thanks!

rinderm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too bad you didn't post this weeks ago as its gone now. Petco in Edwardsville, IL had one that had some zoanthids on it. Its no longer there.

Zoanuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chelsey,

Let me see if I can kill one of my large colonies and I will give you the skeleton. LOL This is what happens when you are away from home for big events things Croke out. LOL

OP
OP
Chelsey

Chelsey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't try too terribly hard, but if you succeed I'll take the skeleton!

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ternatensis

no kidding!? get some pics up here!!

i also have a G.Ternatensis. I haven't seen anyone else with one yet. And I never knew they liked to live in coral skeletons. i guess i didn't read this page closely enough. mine is pretty big, about 3-4". he is also blue, which is pretty rare coloration.

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthro...traca/royslist/species.php?name=g_ternatensis

here is a pic of my guy taken back in the fall, he's grown over an inch since then. he is roomates with a clownfish, and is completely un-interested in him. he prefers to eat snails, and will hit the glass when he wants one. he leaves crabs alone for the most part unless he's hungry or they try to enter his lair. he also eats flake food. lol

IMG_1971.jpg

IMG_1992.jpg

OP
OP
Chelsey

Chelsey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I had read somewhere that you had one :) I do not have him (Sam) yet, but once Sam's abode has been decorated I'll post pictures of that, and then once I get him I'll post mugshots :) I bought one of the two that was up on Stomatopod.com's site, the one that's 2 1/4". How big was yours when you got him?

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
somewhere around 3". i got him from the LFS, who kept him in a small pico tank on their desk for several years. they got him out of a show tank apparently, so he must have been a hitch hiker on the coral or rock.

R

reef-nut

View Badges
Are they the critter that breaks glass and if so why would you want to take that chance?

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they the critter that breaks glass and if so why would you want to take that chance?

they won't break the glass. only an 8" peacock would have the ability to possibly break the glass of a very thin 10g glass tank.

plus, you would have to really tick it off in order to get it that mad.

bluegrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chelsey, oddly enough my wife went thru a phase of hoping my sps would die so that they could become home decor "thanks Pottery Barn" for that great idea. Anyways, she bought what I believe is a very large piece of pocillopora from shell world in florida a few years ago. I do not even know if it is in one of her dead coral displays or in a box in the basement. I will look for it when I get home and snap a pic. Again, not positive on the ID but I think it may be whatcha need. Btw, Please no flaming for letting my wife purchase from shell world. :)

bluegrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
canteloupe sized...

Attachments

• aprilcans-9.jpg
    aprilcans-9.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 84
  • aprilcans-10.jpg
    aprilcans-10.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 85

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The glass breaking of a mantis sounds like a job for myth busters! :D

I agree with you surfn..

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 32 51.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 19.4%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 13 21.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.1%
Back