Warts caused from Saltwater fish?

Rickyrooz

Acropora Nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been getting bumps on my hands after working in my tank. I went to a dermatologist and found out I have warts and granuloma annulare which look like a ring shaped bump, they are only on my hands so I'm pretty sure they are from the fish tank. Does anyone know what could be causing this, corals, live rock, fish? I now use 24" long gloves when working in my tank except when I am handling corals.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dang I have gotten a few between my fingers as well. Very small not like a wart, but almost clear?

OP
OP
Rickyrooz

Rickyrooz

Acropora Nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two on my fingertips and some on the back of my hands.

Just found this:

"Fish handlers frequently suffer from hand warts. The clinical form and HPV type in these lesions were studied. Eleven individuals (10 fishmongers and one fisherman) with multiple hand warts were examined clinically and samples from their warts examined by Southern blot and reverse blot analysis. Clinically, with one exception, the warts were of the common type. HPV DNA was detected in all but one individual. HPV4 was found in one sample, HPV1 related virus in three, a virus hybridizing with both HPV27 and HPV2 in five (four individuals) and HPV7 in seven (six individuals). More than one type was detected in four individuals. HPV7 infection was related to the greater length of time spent in handling fish. These findings indicate that HPV7 is not, as was previously thought, found exclusively in those handling butcher meat and suggest that environmental conditions may be a factor in the clinical manifestation of HPV7 infection. The exact nature of a virus designated HPV2/27 and the significance of its presence in these fish handlers remains uncertain."

http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1365-2133.1989.tb04163.x

R

reef-nut

View Badges
I have had my hands in saltwater for 20 years and no bumps of any kind.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Honestly the ones I have gotten you may never ever notice. They were very small and in between my fingers only near the top knuckle and clear. They come and go. Cyrrently I dont have any.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
WHOA just looked at those links, and NOOOOO I don't have anything like that.

LorenK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Note to self, never go in the tank without gloves. And never start a syphon with my mouth.

Btw, Stephen Pro will be speaking at MACNA[/URL] on this topic:
Friday – September 5, 2008, 6:15 pm – Steven Pro – “I touched it – NOW WHAT?” Reef Toxins for Divers and Reef Keepers

This and I'm sure many other stomache turning pathologies.

Last edited:

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 48.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 17 20.7%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.3%
Back