Was treating with Mypo Now my Dottybacks eyes have gone Big!!! HELP!!!!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a read through the documentation you provided (Thank you btw) . But there doesn't seem to be many/any other options other than waiting it out and hoping for recovery other than attempting to revelive pressure via the needle?
do you have any experience with how to reduce the pressure/swelling? To get the fish eating again?
Epson salts? or Other medications?

Yes - if the eye issue is due to mechanical trauma, there really isn't anything to be done for it, it either gets better in time or it doesn't. It can take over a month to resolve in some cases.

Epsom salts are really a freshwater tonic. Magnesium sulfate is the fourth most common salt in sea salt mixes, so adding a bit more has no benefit for marine fishes.

If the issue was bacterial in origin, you could try erythromycin (Maracyn 1). I just don't see any indication that it is a bacterial issue.

Jay

OP
OP
D

David1000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, he is still on the top today, he still seems to move around a little now and again but exclusivly at the top of the tank and usually just a wiggle or two. I honestly cant hee him making it! I must admit I am very tempted to attempt extraction of the gas in his eye as it looks painful but I don't want to kill the poor thing. The tank water is currently medicated with a bacterial antibiotic (Myxazin) which is Malachite green, Acriflavine hydrochloride. If bacterial infection was a high concern from the needle plan would continuing to medicate this alleviate the issue to stop bacterial issues?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, he is still on the top today, he still seems to move around a little now and again but exclusivly at the top of the tank and usually just a wiggle or two. I honestly cant hee him making it! I must admit I am very tempted to attempt extraction of the gas in his eye as it looks painful but I don't want to kill the poor thing. The tank water is currently medicated with a bacterial antibiotic (Myxazin) which is Malachite green, Acriflavine hydrochloride. If bacterial infection was a high concern from the needle plan would continuing to medicate this alleviate the issue to stop bacterial issues?

I know that needle aspiration sounds like a good way to go - you can try it, but like I said, it never worked for me - it gives temporary relief, but the problem always returned for me. Maybe it will work in this case?

Jay

OP
OP
D

David1000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made the decision to hold off the needle for a little while to finish the antibiotics as I read some conflicting stories on syringing the eye. The fish has pretty much been at the top of the tank not eating/moving for 5 days. The eye is still large however today she moved to sit on the bottom. I've tried to feed the fish but she's still not eating. I noticed today there seems to be a bump on the abdomen. I think this has been there a while time but this is the first time I've managed to get a clear photo. Could low salinity have caused this or the fight or something else? Currently, im dosing Stressguard to keep the fish calm and it has antiseptic in so hopefully this can assist with healing. The eye is still big but possibly slightly reduced its hard to tell. Any idea what this lump is?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-20 15315822222.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-20 15315822222.png
    700.9 KB · Views: 28

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made the decision to hold off the needle for a little while to finish the antibiotics as I read some conflicting stories on syringing the eye. The fish has pretty much been at the top of the tank not eating/moving for 5 days. The eye is still large however today she moved to sit on the bottom. I've tried to feed the fish but she's still not eating. I noticed today there seems to be a bump on the abdomen. I think this has been there a while time but this is the first time I've managed to get a clear photo. Could low salinity have caused this or the fight or something else? Currently, im dosing Stressguard to keep the fish calm and it has antiseptic in so hopefully this can assist with healing. The eye is still big but possibly slightly reduced its hard to tell. Any idea what this lump is?

An asymmetrical lump that that isn't from hyposalinity - that would show up as bloating on both sides, about equally.

Sorry - I can't tell you exactly what that is though - could be an injury, an abscess, or less likely, a tumor.

Jay

Distracted_Nerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im by no means a fish doctor, but is this type of injury possible from self harm.. scratching too violently? i had a foxface that nearly killed itself when it had ich by scratching on a piece of live rock in the QT. Had to treat for a secondary infection

OP
OP
D

David1000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys, Its been an entire month, here are the developments. I wonder if you can offer any advice.

The fish is still alive, its still in QT. The eye injury and tail injury have healed 100% however I suspect the eye on 1 side is blind.
THe main issue now is buoyancy. I believe the lump on the side of the fish has gone now however the fish is always at the top of the tank and seems to float up whenever it tries to swim down. Im guessing this is a swimbladder issue however nothing I have tried has fixed this? (waterlife Myaxin, or Searchem Streeguard which I think is Methlyn Blue.
At the moment I am trying to regulate the fish at a lower water level in the tank where the pressure is higher to see if he can regulate his own pressure. I have done this by trapping the fish in a container and placing it at the bottom of the tank. IM not sure if this is a good or bad idea but at this point im pretty stumped with what to do for the fish.
Any Advice is appreciated. It seems to be eating although I don't ever see it actively go for food when I put it in.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys, Its been an entire month, here are the developments. I wonder if you can offer any advice.

The fish is still alive, its still in QT. The eye injury and tail injury have healed 100% however I suspect the eye on 1 side is blind.
THe main issue now is buoyancy. I believe the lump on the side of the fish has gone now however the fish is always at the top of the tank and seems to float up whenever it tries to swim down. Im guessing this is a swimbladder issue however nothing I have tried has fixed this? (waterlife Myaxin, or Searchem Streeguard which I think is Methlyn Blue.
At the moment I am trying to regulate the fish at a lower water level in the tank where the pressure is higher to see if he can regulate his own pressure. I have done this by trapping the fish in a container and placing it at the bottom of the tank. IM not sure if this is a good or bad idea but at this point im pretty stumped with what to do for the fish.
Any Advice is appreciated. It seems to be eating although I don't ever see it actively go for food when I put it in.

Sorry to hear.

I don't think you will be able to create enough pressure differential in a home aquarium to make any difference in the fish's floatation - it takes about 10 to 15 feet of water depth to do that. I've used pressure chambers to treat fish like this, but I always found that once the pressure was released, the fish began to float again.

It may be time to euthanize this fish.

Jay

OP
OP
D

David1000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do agree it seems like that may be one of the last options left I’m afraid! If we are at that stage I am considering giving the syringe a go to give a Last ditch attempt to relieve the pressure. I have an insulin syringe to perform the procedure. I just took these photos of the fish under some light to see more clearly. There is a bright area near its fins which I’m guessing is the enlarged swim bladder but there is also a dark black area towards the centre bottom of the fish and I’m not sure what that is?
Also if I did this I would put the fish into fresh water with Waterlife Myaxzin in it for 5 days to minimise the infection risk.

IMG_5172.jpeg IMG_5177.jpeg IMG_5184.jpeg

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do agree it seems like that may be one of the last options left I’m afraid! If we are at that stage I am considering giving the syringe a go to give a Last ditch attempt to relieve the pressure. I have an insulin syringe to perform the procedure. I just took these photos of the fish under some light to see more clearly. There is a bright area near its fins which I’m guessing is the enlarged swim bladder but there is also a dark black area towards the centre bottom of the fish and I’m not sure what that is?
Also if I did this I would put the fish into fresh water with Waterlife Myaxzin in it for 5 days to minimise the infection risk.

IMG_5172.jpeg IMG_5177.jpeg IMG_5184.jpeg

The gas bladder on most fish runs below the kidney, which is below the backbone. That lighter colored area seems a bit low to me, more where the stomach would be - buy maybe?

Also, not sure why, but this fish's caudal fin is eroded......

Jay

OP
OP
D

David1000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The gas bladder on most fish runs below the kidney, which is below the backbone. That lighter colored area seems a bit low to me, more where the stomach would be - buy maybe?

Also, not sure why, but this fish's caudal fin is eroded......

Jay
Perhaps it’s not related to the swimbladder then? Maybe it’s a gut related? I’m going to try Epsom salt soaked food to see if I can flush the gut and food out to see if that could help? Also what is the causal fin? Is that the tail? Or the one between the tail and the fins below the gills? With it being a different area that we can see on the photos does this offer any potential alternative remedy to attempt or are we still in the same dire situation of no hope?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps it’s not related to the swimbladder then? Maybe it’s a gut related? I’m going to try Epsom salt soaked food to see if I can flush the gut and food out to see if that could help? Also what is the causal fin? Is that the tail? Or the one between the tail and the fins below the gills? With it being a different area that we can see on the photos does this offer any potential alternative remedy to attempt or are we still in the same dire situation of no hope?
It could be gas in the gut, that does happen.

Sorry, yes, the caudal is the tail - the edge is eroded away for some reason.

If you can get the fish to eat, Epsom salts at 2 to 3% by weight might help.

Jay

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 83 48.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 31.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%
Back