Was wondering how many people are using the triton method

kargs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was seeing how people like it or don’t.
I just started and so far so good. Wondering how much success you’ve had with it.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In preparation for my new build, I was looking to go ultra low maintenance. The Triton Method was attractive as you only monitor dKH for all your dosing and theoretically don't need to do water changes. So I decided to implement a modified version of the Triton Method (which I'm using on my current AIO tank).

1. Monitoring dKH with KH Director and using Triton Core 7 to keep the tank at 8dKH.
2. Incremental AWC that will change out ~5% of the water per week (Using Neomarine ~7.5ish dKH)
3. Filter Roller for mechanical filtration (new build)
4. Large refugium (new build)
5. No Skimming, as there is too much evidence that Skimming is inferior to most other methods for filtration
6. Chemipure Blue for activated carbon and resin to reduces organic compounds, phosphates, etc...
7. Deep sand bed and live rock for beneficial bacteria

The one issue I found with the current tank, is that I have been virtually unable to dose. My dKH was high due to using mostly IO Reef Crystals. Especially when I switch over to AWC. So I switched to Neomarine about 2 months ago. Despite the change in salt, my dKH shot up. In the last couple of weeks, the dKH has normalized and dropped to 7.9 twice...allowing me to dose. Every time I dose though, it shoots back up to about 9dKH over 24hrs. This is despite the fact that the actual dose should just compensate of the .1dKH. I can't put my finger on why this is happening. There is some indication that I've had a large reduction in nitrates which would account for the initial boost in dKH. As to why it shoots up when dosing, maybe something is buffering. It's a 7+ year old tank.

What I am getting at in a long drawn out way is that while my tank has never looked better (maybe the AWC is responsible), I've not really been able get the Core 7 dosing working yet. So implementing the Triton Method may be easier said then done. Also, I'm not a fan of skimming and I can't achieve 10x turn over through my new sump (return pipes are too small). Basically, I just using the Core 7 to maintain dKH and water parameters.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 27 25.2%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 22 20.6%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 12 11.2%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 39 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back