Watchman Goby

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this fish three days ago. It was in a quarantine tank parameters fine. There is a Starry Blenny in there along with a ting pistol shrimp. I found the Goby dead at 7am it still had color to it as you can see. Is there any signs of disease on this fish? Also what should I do to the water with the Blenny remaining? Thanks Wally #reefsquad

20240305_072937.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The one thing that sticks out is how thin this fish is already and may have been sick already and possibly feeding off its liver until it could not thrive any longer
It’s often impossible to determine cause from a carcass

OP
OP
Freenow54

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard for the #fishmedic to look at images of fish that have already passed.

How was their behaviour leading up to the incident, did it seem healthy?
It was eating right out of the gate ( algae pellets ) I put one mature rock in a bare bottom tank. It stayed in one area in the open , it seemed fine

OP
OP
Freenow54

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one thing that sticks out is how thin this fish is already and may have been sick already and possibly feeding off its liver until it could not thrive any longer

OP
OP
Freenow54

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was only over an inch long. One thing that does not show is that there was what appeared to be a reddish spot in the gill area on e the side in the photo

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It was only over an inch long. One thing that does not show is that there was what appeared to be a reddish spot in the gill area on e the side in the photo
That redness will coincide with thinness and possible infection. Fish needs meats over pellets

OP
OP
Freenow54

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard for the #fishmedic to look at images of fish that have already passed.

I only had it for three days. It was eating but lethargic. Sorry about being to focused. The goby is dead. Now concerned about blenny. I only said parameters good because it is a bare bottom Quarantine tank except for 1 live rock and some abs fittings. I was assuming because it is the same water that I put in my other two thriving tanks. Nothing has ever been in this tank until now. Thanks for the education though. But still need to know what to watch for. Especially for starry blenny that is still alive

OP
OP
Freenow54

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That redness will coincide with thinness and possible infection. Fish needs meats over pellets
Thank you should maybe try or have tried misis shrimp? Also have flakes with meal. Which would be better. Worrying now about the Starry blenny

OP
OP
Freenow54

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So I also plan on getting another yellow watchman from another source. What should I look for?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So I also plan on getting another yellow watchman from another source. What should I look for?
Good body weight, eating and no discoloration

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
Freenow54

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good color and looks decent
Had to Post this. Awhile ago I found out that I can no longer get Omega 1 Marine Fish food. Found Some and have a stash in freezer. I put some in with the Goby, and it went nuts for it. So good to see. Turned its nose up on misis shrimp. I have about 4 pounds of the stuff. Nothing would eat it. My clowns nor my yellow tang. Anyway of to a good start. Anyone know a comparable food? Going to run out of Omega one eventually

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Had to Post this. Awhile ago I found out that I can no longer get Omega 1 Marine Fish food. Found Some and have a stash in freezer. I put some in with the Goby, and it went nuts for it. So good to see. Turned its nose up on misis shrimp. I have about 4 pounds of the stuff. Nothing would eat it. My clowns nor my yellow tang. Anyway of to a good start. Anyone know a comparable food? Going to run out of Omega one eventually
Look at the line of flakes by ocean nutrition

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back