Watchmen Goby with huge white belly and Yellow Wrasse with weird issues

Astro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning all, I am seeking advice and possible diagnosis with two fish:
My yellow wrasse I've had for about 8 months or so, in this time I moved about 3 months back and lost a lot of sand in the move. I noticed what looked to appear him struggling to burrow due to its shallowness (about 1") so I clumped up sections where it is 2-3" deep. However about a few weeks after, I noticed he was swimming all kinds of weird, he would kind of hover and get thrown around by the wave maker, and even once, was stuck on the side of my nero. I put him in a fish trap box and noticed his right fin was a bit red near the joint, however a few days later and he looked fine afterwords so I released him back into the tank. I thought he just burrowed for a few days, but he was in fact living under my live rock where my pistol and goby reside. He now looks like he lost his colour a bit, as well as his scales? and as a result looks red on one side.
here is a video of him when I first noticed he was acting weird:
here is him right now:

Now my Goby I've had for over a year, the entire time living with his pistol shrimp under the same rock. He usually, but not always, peeks out during feeding. The past week or so I hadn't seen much of him. I lift up my rock during water change and find him with a huge white belly and something sticking out of it. I'm not sure if this is the bowel of the fish, or something foreign?
here is him under rock:
here is hum in net:

I'm not sure what to do with these two fish, or what the causes may be? I have 5 other fish that are doing fine and eating well. I'm making some RODI to set up a 13g tank I have in case they need to be quarantined, and if so, I'm wondering if I need to get sand for that tank or if PVC will be better? Since the wrasse sleeps in the sand.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. Thank you!

tank is:
55g display, 65g volume
.2 phos, .20 nitrate
0 amm/nitrite
8.4 alk, 8.2 ph
35 salinity, 77 degrees
has skimmer and sterilizer

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning all, I am seeking advice and possible diagnosis with two fish:
My yellow wrasse I've had for about 8 months or so, in this time I moved about 3 months back and lost a lot of sand in the move. I noticed what looked to appear him struggling to burrow due to its shallowness (about 1") so I clumped up sections where it is 2-3" deep. However about a few weeks after, I noticed he was swimming all kinds of weird, he would kind of hover and get thrown around by the wave maker, and even once, was stuck on the side of my nero. I put him in a fish trap box and noticed his right fin was a bit red near the joint, however a few days later and he looked fine afterwords so I released him back into the tank. I thought he just burrowed for a few days, but he was in fact living under my live rock where my pistol and goby reside. He now looks like he lost his colour a bit, as well as his scales? and as a result looks red on one side.
here is a video of him when I first noticed he was acting weird:
here is him right now:

Now my Goby I've had for over a year, the entire time living with his pistol shrimp under the same rock. He usually, but not always, peeks out during feeding. The past week or so I hadn't seen much of him. I lift up my rock during water change and find him with a huge white belly and something sticking out of it. I'm not sure if this is the bowel of the fish, or something foreign?
here is him under rock:
here is hum in net:

I'm not sure what to do with these two fish, or what the causes may be? I have 5 other fish that are doing fine and eating well. I'm making some RODI to set up a 13g tank I have in case they need to be quarantined, and if so, I'm wondering if I need to get sand for that tank or if PVC will be better? Since the wrasse sleeps in the sand.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. Thank you!

I'm not sure if the goby and the wrasse issue are related.

For the wrasse, it has severely damaged pectoral fins. Since those are the primary means by which wrasse swim, that in turn is causing the swimming issue. The question is; how did the fins get damaged, and is there a bacterial infection involved?

The issue with the goby is even less clear, I can't get a good view of it from the photos. Is it still eating? Some fish can develop intestinal blockages and others can become egg bound.

Jay

stovenut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a thread that might help:

OP
OP
Astro

Astro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if the goby and the wrasse issue are related.

For the wrasse, it has severely damaged pectoral fins. Since those are the primary means by which wrasse swim, that in turn is causing the swimming issue. The question is; how did the fins get damaged, and is there a bacterial infection involved?

The issue with the goby is even less clear, I can't get a good view of it from the photos. Is it still eating? Some fish can develop intestinal blockages and others can become egg bound.

Jay
I got a yellow tang about a month back, could that be the cause of the damage? just general harassment as he gets used to him? No signs recently, but I'm not sure how long its been.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I got a yellow tang about a month back, could that be the cause of the damage? just general harassment as he gets used to him? No signs recently, but I'm not sure how long its been.
Highly possible- yellow versus yellow
In your video, you can clearly see the yellow going after the fox face and as Jay mentioned- the fins which appear damaged are what keeps this fish stable in the water not being able to resist the current
Best chance of healing, recovery and protection will be in an acclimation box

stovenut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The yellow wrasse is having trouble righting itself. This is likely a swim bladder issue. It looks from the video like there is a protrusion in the stomach/bladder area. It's also possible that it is a spinal injury from trying to bury himself under duress. Not sure if anyone can confirm one or the other based on the video, but seems to be one of those 2.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the tank? It looks pretty short and some of it looks like damage and the Yellow Tang and Foxface are clearly fighting in the video.

It seems like at least part of the problem is the Tang may not have enough territory of its own and attacking the others. Looks like minimal rock, one cave... and so on. If a fish feels it needs space, it will certainly drive others away aggressively or kill them if there is no where for them to go.

The goby looks un-related. It looks like a blockage to me.

Edit: looks like tank is 36" x 20". May not be enough room for a Tang with a attitude. They can be fairly territorial.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Astro

Astro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Highly possible- yellow versus yellow
In your video, you can clearly see the yellow going after the fox face and as Jay mentioned- the fins which appear damaged are what keeps this fish stable in the water not being able to resist the current
Best chance of healing, recovery and protection will be in an acclimation box
Would the wrasse be fine in acclimation box for days, if there is no sand to burrow? I put him in my sump for now, and he seems to be pretty chill in there, just not sure if I should add sand or not.

OP
OP
Astro

Astro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the tank? It looks pretty short and some of it looks like damage and the Yellow Tang and Foxface are clearly fighting in the video.

It seems like at least part of the problem is the Tang may not have enough territory of its own and attacking the others. Looks like minimal rock, one cave... and so on. If a fish feels it needs space, it will certainly drive others away aggressively or kill them if there is no where for them to go.

The goby looks un-related. It looks like a blockage to me.

Edit: looks like tank is 36" x 20". May not be enough room for a Tang with a attitude. They can be fairly territorial.
Yes that's a good point, I'll add more rocks to create more hiding spaces for the fish. I plan on upgrading to a larger system shortly, and saw a good deal on a small tang so figured it would be alright.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 15.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 73 47.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 49 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back