Water Change: What's the average time it takes you? Tips and tricks...

What is the average time to complete a water change in your reef aquarium? (exclude mixing the salt)

• 30 min or less

Votes: 465 45.6%
  • 1 hour or less

Votes: 345 33.8%
  • 2 hours or less

Votes: 133 13.0%
  • 3 hours or less

Votes: 20 2.0%
  • 5 hours or less

Votes: 11 1.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 46 4.5%

• Total voters

JR55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a Waterway in line chlorinator to my mixing station. Just remove the top, add the appropriate amount of salt and turn on the COR-20 to mix.

McReef8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other: Apex via DOS. Best upgrade for a tank IMO is an automatic water change. I change 2.5 gallons daily 9pm to 7am on my 265 gallon.

DF8FEE6A-4CA7-4655-896F-693A159069CB.jpeg
I've been wanting to set up my AWC system like this, but my mixing station doesnt back up to the same wall as my tank so, I'd have to go through the ceiling with the tubing which is too much head pressure for most dosing pumps.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a Waterway in line chlorinator to my mixing station. Just remove the top, add the appropriate amount of salt and turn on the COR-20 to mix.
Awesome idea! Does it work well? Doesn't get clogged up with salt? I might have to look into one of these so I don't have to open up the container to dump the salt in.

MightyMO

"The Algae made me do it!!!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol! You all are spoiled!!! I got a 55 gallon trash can in the basement with rodi water. I then have to take 3 5gal buckets down the steps, scoop the water out with a pitcher, lug the full buckets back up the steps where I vacuum out 10 gallons, add my saltwater mix back to display... Mind you I have to use my a.c. power head out of my tank to do my saltwatermix... pain in the tail for sure!!!

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been wanting to set up my AWC system like this, but my mixing station doesnt back up to the same wall as my tank so, I'd have to go through the ceiling with the tubing which is too much head pressure for most dosing pumps.
Peristaltic like the DOS or new Versa will work for this no problem. Only downside is they are slow, works perfectly for AWC, which is supposed to be slow anyways.

Wildcats1023

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AWC 3 gallons overnight everynight on 220 gallon. Apex and DOS makes this so easy to do. One of the best investments I've made in my tank.

MightyMO

"The Algae made me do it!!!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol! You all are spoiled!!! I got a 55 gallon trash can in the basement with rodi water. I then have to take 3 5gal buckets down the steps, scoop the water out with a pitcher, lug the full buckets back up the steps where I vacuum out 10 gallons, add my saltwater mix back to display... Mind you I have to use my a.c. power head out of my tank to do my saltwatermix... pain in the tail for sure!!!
I also do water change once a week...

Conrad Noto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do 20 to 30gals every 6-8 weeks on 180gal. I also will do 20gals 3rd and 6th day after I add new fish, coral, rock or if I rearrange/move things. Water change itself usually less then an hour, only really takes 10 min. I usually end up cleaning, stirring substrate before taking water out which take a little more time.

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Clean the inside of the glass allowing the filter sock to catch clean the water
2. Syphon 15% of the 170l whilst hoovering the sand bed
3. Check that both my media reactors are running smoothly
4. Clean the skimmer (I clean the cup daily though)
5. Will hoover the sump every other week
6. When I’ve finished all the cleaning I will replace the water and the filter sock
Whole process takes me about 90 mins - strangely find it very therapeutic

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What is the average time it takes you to complete a water change in your reef aquarium? (exclude the salt mixing time)
The actual water change part is quick, 30 minutes.. It's the other stuff that goes along with it that takes me so much time. The night before I mix up 3 separate 5g jugs, shake the crap out of em, and drop in a heater. Next day I lug em upstairs from the basement. Replace filter socks and bag of Rox, and empty/clean skimmer cup. Drain out 15g in to 3 x 5g buckets siphoning up algae and nastiness. Dump buckets in the tub in the spare bathroom(wife loves this..). Add in 15g of clean SW, fire everything back up, clean up the water I spilled everywhere, and crack my 3rd beer.

2. How many gallons of water do you change normally and how many gallons is your total aquarium volume?
15 gallons, 60g cube plus 20g sump, 63g give or take filled.

3. What are some tips and tricks you have learned over the years to make changing out your water easier and faster?
I wouldn't say I've learned anything to improve the current situation, but I know what I want to do for my next setup lol. I couldn't imagine doing this routine for a larger build, no way no how.

Jfox33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am attempting a no water change system. I Started 3 months ago and have added 3 clownfish so far. 0 phos and 10 nitrate. 18 gallon nano system

dummyknuckles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a BioCube 29 and I aim to do a 7 gallon water change once per week. It takes less than 30 minutes to do the water change but then throughout the week I have to mix up the 7 gallons of salt water. I'm doing that from an under sink RO system that only has a 3 gallon tank. So that takes a bit more time, altho it's mostly hands off of course.

JR55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome idea! Does it work well? Doesn't get clogged up with salt? I might have to look into one of these so I don't have to open up the container to dump the salt in.
I have had no problems with it clogging. With the lid on tight about three inches of water fill the container and you just need to loosen the lid a little bit to let more water in and then tighten it. It takes about 5 minutes to mix the salt when it is full and that is with the COR-20 running at full speed with 3/4 inch plumbing.

135zman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soooo... it should take less than 30 mins... however, it takes me a lot long because I get distracted.

Typical water change is as followed

90 gallons of water: 9-14 gallons of water changed every week.

I have a 7 gallon jug and I use a manual siphon to remove the water.

Start the siphon and suction the top layer of sand
sand clogs the filter on siphon, stop siphon to remove sand, start siphon over
siphon wont start over still clogged, clear and try again, okay now working start siphon again, suction rest of sand
...did I turn off the ATO (no... I never do...)
what is that fish doing, why is he acting that way
is it "insert some deadly fish related disease here"
Better google it. Googling...googling..googling
OMG I forgot to stop the siphon, water on floor.
Stop siphon carry 7 gallon jug (58 pounds) outside and dump in yard
Start siphon again, balance precariously under power head
back to google... doesn't seem to be "insert some deadly fish related disease here"
is that bubble algae? Where did that come from? I wonder if I can get it really quick... aww man I popped the bubbles
Jugs not entirely full... but I spilled some water on the floor last time so better stop now.
Stop siphon carry 6 gallon jug (50 pounds) outside and dump in yard.
Go down to basement, fill clean 7 gallon jug with saltwater from mixing station and carry upstairs.
Stop halfway up to breath heavily and swear I'm going to go back to the gym soon
dump into the sump... I can't lift that up enough to dump in tank... turn on pump
...did I turn off the skimmer (no... skimmer overflowing)
Go down to basement, fill 7 gallon jug with saltwater from mixing station and carry upstairs.
Stop halfway up to breath heavily and debate the cost to have pump and hose bring the water up for me
dump into the sump
Stare at tank for 20 minuets until my husband walks by and asks why the floor is wet
Wipe up floor go to bed

...3 days later... did I turn the ATO and skimmer back on

That sounds awfully familiar!

clffthmps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading all the post, I’m still filling 2-5gallon buckets once a week for my 75gallon. Lol

clffthmps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But it’s not that bad.I let it mix about 24 to 30 hours before water change.keeps me in shape.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 34 35.4%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 52 54.2%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 4.2%
Back