Water Change?

Nathan4557

Nathan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is a 12Gal weekly water change good for a 75Gal reef tank? If not should i do more or less? I am Currently doing 5Gal a week on my 29Gal Biocube and everything seems to be staying in perfect order. Thanks for any responses!

EVReef3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends in ur filteration, cuc, livestock, how often/ how much you feed.. etc. The rule I mostly follow is 10% weekly. Now there r people who get away with one water change a month and there are some who don't do it at all and their tank looks good. Just depends on your tanks needs. 12 gals sounds good. You could easily get away with 7 gals change every week. But again, each tank has its own needs.

OP
OP
N

Nathan4557

Nathan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i Do have a sump with a protein skimmer which seems to work well. In the sump i have two layers of media. First is a Pura Pad and the second in the marine land filter floss kind of stuff. There is also a sponge before the return pump.

OP
OP
N

Nathan4557

Nathan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kind of thought i would be able to get away with a 7Gal change but a little more cant hurt. I think i will try and do 12gal once a week.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With guessing at water volume(+sump -rock) i would say you are doing around 15%? Personally if it were me i would do more like 25% every 2 weeks. Having said that though if it working for you and parameters are inline then i see no reason to change.

OP
OP
N

Nathan4557

Nathan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what the 15&#37 means? Sorry i am a bit new to this! Doing the 25% every two weeks would actually be a bit easier. I also have a 30 Gal reef tank that i have had going for a while and i do 5gals a week on that so it would be nice to only have to do the 75gal every other week.

kingfisherfleshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only way to tell what will be adequete is to do h2o testing.

You will want to test at least for phosphates and nitrates. Test before, and then again after your h2o change. When you get numbers that show you that bad components arent getting too high during the week, and that your h2o change removes them down to an acceptable level, you have found your balance.

If you upgrade filtration, add more livestock, or start feeding differently, you should repeat this process.

Remember to start small, and work your way up. The tank might have bad h2o quality while you are figuring this stuff out, but its better to find out that you only need to do a 5g change, than thinking that a 12g change is necessary the whole time. Salt is the cheapest part of our hobby, but that still doesnt mean you should waste it or your money.

I personally do about 20g a week on my 125g. I was thinking about going up to 30g, and may have to when my tank is fully stocked and fish are grown out. For now, its actually a little much, especially with the fact that I am running an EV400. :D

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW IMHO water changes wil limit parameter changes but not prevent them.

What I do is balance out the system with macro algaes and dose calcium/alk/magnesium.

then do no water changes.

Still just my .02

Michael7979

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to stay on the schedule of 20-25g every 3 weeks on my system. (approx. 300g)
Everyone is different. Find what works for you and stick with it.

whyzee429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do 5 gallons a week in my 75. Once every month or two I'll do 10g at once, but that's usually if I've blown all the debris off the rock and it's suspended in the water.

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a general maintenance routine I do 5 percent per week. I do all the turkey basting and what not then change the water. But like a few others have said, it really depends on your filtration. The tank will always let you know if you're changing the water enough or not. I prefer to do smaller changes more often, as it gives me more chances to stir up debris and do other meintenance for the tank. There's always something that could temporarily use the old water! :smile:

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 27 14.9%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 41 22.7%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 105 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back