Water Changes, Daily or weekly?

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're doing weekly changes, you can get away with doing 15% where as I personally do 25% biweekly.. all depends on how heavily stocked your tank is

RonMidtownStomp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see a single SPS in that video. That's a softies tank. It doesn't surprise me that it doesn't consume very much Cal/Alk/Mag. SPS consume a tremendous amount of Alk, especially.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi..thanks for the cmpliment..I love my tank.
What you say is so true..if the levels are fine and everything in the tank is fine then clearly you are doing the 'right' thing.
Just out of interest...if you are doing a 60 lt water change how big is the tank ?

In my signature below but 650 litres.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank automatically changes 8651.5 ml every 24 hours (via an Apex DOS). All I do is make saltwater every 6.25 weeks and match parameters. (I pretty much just dump salt in a container then test the water and make adjustments).

I don't use waterchanges as nutrient export. Waterchanges are a way to replenish trace elements and help prevent imbalances. It's been working very well for me. My corals have really taken off since I started doing it this way.

taintstick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always wondered about this method, I do 10% weekly religiously. I am going to follow along and switch it up doing a 1 gallon change everyday. I'll do it at 5pm after work when lights are at it's highest.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always wondered about this method, I do 10% weekly religiously. I am going to follow along and switch it up doing a 1 gallon change everyday. I'll do it at 5pm after work when lights are at it's highest.

Mine equals out to a weekly 10% waterchange.

OP
OP
Indo Nano

Indo Nano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No water changes, ever.
How? And I just received my Algae Scrubber from you guys! Thanks!
IMG_5431.JPG

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am trying for a 10% weekly water change. It's not as high as a percentage as I would like to do but my container is 55g. :D

Rhinohorn420

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a high phosphate level. What do you suggest to rid of it. Ive already done two 12 gallon water changes on my 30 and im only dropping from 1.56 to 1.46 in a week.

OP
OP
Indo Nano

Indo Nano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a high phosphate level. What do you suggest to rid of it. Ive already done two 12 gallon water changes on my 30 and im only dropping from 1.56 to 1.46 in a week.
For phosphate, in my experiance, water changes it the way to go. Bio control, primarily reduce feeding helps and changing/cleaning filters.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't sweat it as long as you've addressed the reason for it being so high in the first place. If it's not driving an algae bloom or something, high nutrients isn't really a problem.

If you haven't addressed the source yet, do that first. Over-stocking and over feeding are probably the two most likely causes, but tell us if it's something else. :)

Coral Lines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like a lot more work and salt for probably slim to no gains.

I would agree with this. Also, too clean water would not be good too. Sometimes corals need the the nitrates. I noticed my zoas do much better on a every other week water change than a weekly one. But again it all depends on bioload and the type of corals you have.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 26.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back