Water changes in qt

sean rand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
My qt is set up with a ammonia badge and it shows 0 ammonia and fish are doing fine in the water. Should I change water on a weekly basis even if its showing 0 ammonia and fish r fine? I dont test for anything else because of the meds in the tank and that can change the test colors.
How often do u change water in your qt?

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do weekly water changes mostly because water gets milky from all the overfeeding. If clear then probably no need.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're running medications (especially copper) I wouldn't do water changes as you risk dropping meds out of range. If ammonia is 0 you should be good to go :)

OP
OP
S

sean rand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do weekly water changes mostly because water gets milky from all the overfeeding. If clear then probably no need.
They r pretty clear and fish r acting totally fine. I add in a couple oz of bio spora every couple of days. I think that helps with ammonia.

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve gone as long as 3 weeks with no ill effects. I do use a bigger QT though and cycled media (29G)

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do water changes as needed, usually like every other week... unless I’m using a certain medication (antibiotics for example) that require more.

I’m home all day though, so I’m highly observant with my QTs and will notice the signs of ammonia creeping up usually even before my badge starts to change... and can do a change on the fly.

If you aren’t able to keep a close eye on it at all times, at least once a week or every 4-5 days is probably a good plan.

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do water changes as needed, usually like every other week... unless I’m using a certain medication (antibiotics for example) that require more.

I’m home all day though, so I’m highly observant with my QTs and will notice the signs of ammonia creeping up usually even before my badge starts to change... and can do a change on the fly.

If you aren’t able to keep a close eye on it at all times, at least once a week or every 4-5 days is probably a good plan.

What the the signs you usually look for? My badge is always yellow, I just do the water change to refresh and lower nitrates. I've only had it change once when my wife decided to feed the fish in QT because they "looked hungry" xD. I fixed it after a 50% WC though :D.

OP
OP
S

sean rand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I check on the tanks in the morning and about 4 5 a clock every day. My wife is home the whole day and knows enough to see if something is wrong. And she checks on them probably 3 or 4 times throughout the day.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What the the signs you usually look for? My badge is always yellow, I just do the water change to refresh and lower nitrates. I've only had it change once when my wife decided to feed the fish in QT because they "looked hungry" xD. I fixed it after a 50% WC though :D.

Heavy breathing (first sign), loss of appetite, cloudy/white marks on fins or a hint of redness around the gills.

Last edited:

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 94 48.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 60 30.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back