Water conditions for clown fry?

DoctaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious what temp and salinity you all keep your clown fry tanks at?
I was talking to someone who has had success keeping the fish at higher temps, over 80, which shaved a few days off the time from hatch to meta.
Thoughts?

Pete Luna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I keep mine at 77 have larger hatches. May be a few days longer but better survival as well l

thomaskc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep mine at 78-80 with cheaper heaters and haven’t seen any Drastic effects. I believe the theory is that the hotter the temperature the faster the metabolism and thereby the quicker grow.
But the trade off is faster metabolism equals fastest waste production and faster fouling of the water.
Again, I haven’t anecdotally seen these effects but it follows basic science so yeah.

OP
OP
DoctaReef

DoctaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep mine at 78-80 with cheaper heaters and haven’t seen any Drastic effects. I believe the theory is that the hotter the temperature the faster the metabolism and thereby the quicker grow.
But the trade off is faster metabolism equals fastest waste production and faster fouling of the water.
Again, I haven’t anecdotally seen these effects but it follows basic science so yeah.
How do you control ammonia? I lost my first clutch because I think it got too high... thinking my water changes weren't enough.

thomaskc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you control ammonia? I lost my first clutch because I think it got too high... thinking my water changes weren't enough.
For your fry tank which you should use until they complete meta:

Day 0-4: Daily water changes using drip in method. Typically I combine water changes during this period with sweeping of the tank floor. The floor is where almost all the buildup will occur. Use an acrylic tube attached to air hose for your siphon and just put some rotifloss on the end. Boom, mini dyson.
5A488C12-514E-4387-A383-1F3E291968E5.jpeg
2C2ED351-41C9-4658-B3CC-D7DE0A6C727F.jpeg

For the first 24 hours after transfer or hatch don’t do anything. If ammonia spikes during this period just add fresh salt water. This will avoid any unnecessary loss of fry.

After the first 24 hours sweep the tank floor and drain half the water. Drip in salt water mixed with a little clor-amx and keep doing this daily for 10-14 days!

After you start adding TDO (day3-4ish) the water will foul faster. So yeah, more food, more waste, more water.

Shoutout to Luis Perez on YouTube who does videos of his experience.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 43 22.9%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 109 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back