Water distiller for saltwater tank?

LordJoshaeus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! LONG time no post. Here's a question...could an electric water distiller work for producing water for a saltwater tank? In this context, the hypothetical 'tank' in question is a 20 gallon high...I was thinking of doing 2 gallon water changes each week and having a third gallon each week for top offs. I could probably add mixed bed resin to the end of the distiller to remove any lingering impurities, if needed. Thank you :)

EDIT; The reason for the water distiller VS an RODI unit is because I don't want to deal with figuring out how to attach it to my sink and/or plumbing...I don't mind the fact that it would cost more to produce water this way than it would with an RO unit.

Last edited:

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! LONG time no post. Here's a question...could an electric water distiller work for producing water for a saltwater tank? In this context, the hypothetical 'tank' in question is a 20 gallon high...I was thinking of doing 2 gallon water changes each week and having a third gallon each week for top offs. I could probably add mixed bed resin to the end of the distiller to remove any lingering impurities, if needed. Thank you :)

EDIT; The reason for the water distiller VS an RODI unit is because I don't want to deal with figuring out how to attach it to my sink and/or plumbing...I don't mind the fact that it would cost more to produce water this way than it would with an RO unit.
Connect RODI to cold water angle stop under sink using this.

Youll need a small pump and some fittings anyways if wanting to pump distilled water through a mixed resin cartridge....

Screenshot_20210423-162314_Amazon Shopping.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 32.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back