Water Flow Confusion - Tunze Stream

Broadwave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I've been keeping various sized reef tanks since 2001 but aquarium flow has always been one of those reef subjects that has confused the crap out of me and has never been clear and seems to change depending on whom you talk to. I have 2 Tunze Stream 6105 controllable pumps, and would like to use them on my reef.

My Display is 60x27x27 (190 gallons) with the Tunze Streams 6105's being 3434 gph each (6868 total GPH) will that be enough flow for this size tank or should I also incorporate additional power heads? Obviously, the flow patterns will change with aquascape and eventual coral growth. I will also be using my Apex to program random flows with these pumps. However, is this enough flow in the tank to support SPS? at 36x total water volume I would think so, but can never tell.

If I use the Ecotech Marine flow calc http://ecotechmarine.com/calculator/ it looks like it would be enough but still, hard to tell as a lot would depend on flow patterns etc...

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I've been keeping various sized reef tanks since 2001 but aquarium flow has always been one of those reef subjects that has confused the crap out of me and has never been clear and seems to change depending on whom you talk to. I have 2 Tunze Stream 6105 controllable pumps, and would like to use them on my reef.

My Display is 60x27x27 (190 gallons) with the Tunze Streams 6105's being 3434 gph each (6868 total GPH) will that be enough flow for this size tank or should I also incorporate additional power heads? Obviously, the flow patterns will change with aquascape and eventual coral growth. I will also be using my Apex to program random flows with these pumps. However, is this enough flow in the tank to support SPS? at 36x total water volume I would think so, but can never tell.

If I use the Ecotech Marine flow calc http://ecotechmarine.com/calculator/ it looks like it would be enough but still, hard to tell as a lot would depend on flow patterns etc...

My aquarium is 180 72x24x24, I have an MP60 and one 6105. I added the 6105 because I didn't get the amount of flow I felt it need with the MP60 alone. The MP60 is 7500, 6105 is 3400 so that gives me 60 times turn over. MP60 is set to Reef crest 100% and the 6105 set to 10 second pulse 100%. I have the MP60 at the end of my tank and the 6105 is place on the back wall 1/4 way from the MP60 facing the far side. This gives me what I feel is good flow. Nothing settles ever, and I don't have sand storms.

I have a friend that has a 180 like mine with just two 6105 and he feels it's adequate. Though it seems to low for me.

Remember when corals grow in they will reduce flow.

Here is a video of my system.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The short answer is yes, it should be plenty – especially to get you started. Way more than a pair of 40's.

The longer answer is that the numbers on the box are only so descriptive of what will happen in your tank.

This helps give a more complete picture...

And, logically, I'd suggest the Tunze calculator for spec'ing Tunze pumps....it seems to give very conservative results rather than hopeful ones.
https://www.tunze.com/US/en/products/configurator.html

By my programming, their calulator says you'd ultimately like to have four of the 6105's.

At only $1200, even four of them is a bargain compared to most other solutions.

You'd certianly have a crushing amount of flow at your disposal. Important for any specialized program where the pump with be ramping down frequently and extremely...and important to have on tap as the tank gets more complicated to flow.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The short answer is yes, it should be plenty – especially to get you started. Way more than a pair of 40's.

The longer answer is that the numbers on the box are only so descriptive of what will happen in your tank.

This helps give a more complete picture...

And, logically, I'd suggest the Tunze calculator for spec'ing Tunze pumps....it seems to give very conservative results rather than hopeful ones.
https://www.tunze.com/US/en/products/configurator.html

By my programming, their calulator says you'd ultimately like to have four of the 6105's.

At only $1200, even four of them is a bargain compared to most other solutions.

You'd certianly have a crushing amount of flow at your disposal. Important for any specialized program where the pump with be ramping down frequently and extremely...and important to have on tap as the tank gets more complicated to flow.

4 each 6105s. dang right! That's what I'm talking about! I forgot to mention I plan to add a second 6105 at some point so that would but me right in line with the Tunze recommendation. I have that in writhing in my build thread lol. Flow is just so important.

OP
OP
Broadwave

Broadwave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks... definitely some great information shared. But 4 x 6105's !!!!! WOW!!! Hopefully I can keep the sand bed in place and water in the tank :)

I currently have 2 x MP40's on the tank at opposite ends in anti-sync, but I'm just not happy with hem no matter how i program them for a bunch of reasons.
Guess, I'll go with 2 x 6105's for now and if I need to add more as things grow, so be it.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unlike many others, the Tunze is hyper-adjustable in aim as well as speed – and has both narrow and wide nozzles with it......you should be able to find good spots and settings that make it all work. :) :) And having fun experimenting is part of the deal! :) :) :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I've never seen that calculator! Cool!

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It gives out prices in Euros so I don't think they go out of their way to promote it....still handy as one point of reference. :)

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 39 19.9%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 145 74.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.6%
Back