Water flow problems

92GallonReefer

It Is What It Is
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have a corner tank set up that has a good idea on how to get good circulation in the tank? Ive read that there are problems with water flow in them and was wandering what i should do to eliminate dead spots? Thanks, any help would be great!

bkv1997

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 92 corner and can say I haven't had an issue with flow, but I probably set mine up a bit different than most.

I have a SQUID in the overflow on the return that then pushes water from one side of the tank to the other. I drilled small holes in the rim down the sides of the tank and hooked up black 3/4" vinyl tubing and the water is inserted into the tank in the front corners.

I also use 2 TUNZE 6000s. I've attached a few different images some might be a year or two old, but the setup is still pertty much the same. I think the first one is probably the best for seing how the tubing is ran.

If you have any other questions pelase feel free to PM me.

Brandon

Look at the tubes running down the sides.
lighting.jpg

Tank1.jpg

Picture of my sump.
Sump.jpg

Picture of the skimmer closet.
skimmer_372022.JPG

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You need to update all those pics! Tank looks even better and the MRC is replaced with a beast ORCA!

bkv1997

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know i said they were two to three years old...

Was just trying to post a quick response and help out.

If you have any questions 92gallonreefer let me know and i'll gladly snap some new and more detailed pics for you.

Brandon

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think with about four hydors or something similar you would be fine i would place two on back walls two on the side walls

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok new pics...

PS. What is the milk used for???? :D

OP
OP
92GallonReefer

92GallonReefer

It Is What It Is
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 92 corner and can say I haven't had an issue with flow, but I probably set mine up a bit different than most.

I have a SQUID in the overflow on the return that then pushes water from one side of the tank to the other. I drilled small holes in the rim down the sides of the tank and hooked up black 3/4" vinyl tubing and the water is inserted into the tank in the front corners.

I also use 2 TUNZE 6000s. I've attached a few different images some might be a year or two old, but the setup is still pertty much the same. I think the first one is probably the best for seing how the tubing is ran.

I was going to do something like that and run two pieces of pvc, one down each side and drill holes every inch or so, i was going to use a mag 9.5, is that going to be powerful enough to push the flow for the tank or should i get a larger pump?
Also i was going to get a few powerheads to put in the tank. any suggestions on a few good brands?

bkv1997

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys milk is for the extra calcium to make my corals strong, what you guys don't use it? No someone asked me to use something for size reference when i took that pic. HEHE....... :hammer:

I'm using an Iwaski 70 but have it split. some of the water is pumped to the garage for chillers and water changes the rest goes to the tank. As far as flow in tank i'm not a big fan of the koralias if your going to try and turn them on and off or get alternating flow.

Ok i'll go and get a couple new pics just for you Rev. :horse:

Be back soon.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pics???

bkv1997

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha! Its ok I'm taking care of his tank next week if he bans me there will be alot of happy reefers in the TN/GA area :).:rolleyes::hammer:

Ok as promised.

DSC_0103.jpg

DSC_0104.jpg

DSC_0106.jpg

DSC_0107.jpg

DSC_0108.jpg

bkv1997

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.

I really need to take some updated shots of the corals... Those are horrible pictures for representing the colors of the corals. Please don't judge them based on those pics I was just taking quick shots to show the plumbing.

I'm sure the Rev would vouch for me. Maybe in a couple weeks i'll break out the tripod and snap some better pics.

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL they look great trust me i was just looking at how much its scolling, ik pics dont really do justice, ur tank looks great and that cap is awsome looking

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
NOW we need FTS!!!!!

OP
OP
92GallonReefer

92GallonReefer

It Is What It Is
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks bkv1997 those last shots really helped me. The first ones were pretty hard to see. now i just have to get some power heads and some plumbing supplies and hopefully the condo i am moving into will be done in the next couple of weeks. then i will have to get a tank build thread started. then i guess ill be the one getting yelled at for new pics... Thanks for all the help!!!!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 128 42.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 106 35.1%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 48 15.9%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.7%
Back