water height

reefwreck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can i lower the height on one side of my 210 have 2 corner overflows built in

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can i lower the height on one side of my 210 have 2 corner overflows built in
lowering your overflow and drain pipe would drop your DT water level but did you say you wanted this on only one side of the tank?

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whole tank by half of inch
You would have to lower the height of your corner overflows. Or, really, lower the height of the point where the water enters the overflow.
Inside the overflows you may also need to lower the hight of your drain pipes.

Why are you trying to lower the water height?

OP
OP
R

reefwreck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so if i elongate the slits and cover the upper part or just making slits longer

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Making the slits longer will allow water to enter the catch area sooner. Assuming your drain entry point is below that new (lower) level, the DT water will drain into your sump sooner. You'll likely need to remove water from the entire system, I would think, as well.

Do you have a picture (or pictures) of your current setup? There are several different types of drain systems and how you get them to drain at a different level varies.

OP
OP
R

reefwreck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1783.JPG
IMG_1784.JPG

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a Herbie overflow from what I can see. Also looks like you have about 2"+ of depth between your current tank level and your overflow water level. Depending upon how much you want to lower your water level by, you shouldn't have to change the plumbing any, I wouldn't think. So yeah - lower the slots and you should be fine, I'd guess.

Again; why do you want to lower the water height?

OP
OP
R

reefwreck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is no return right now was changing out sump for triton 44 had bulkhead leak anyway problem is over the years house settled and tank is half inch higher on one side than the other

vertigo01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is no return right now was changing out sump for triton 44 had bulkhead leak anyway problem is over the years house settled and tank is half inch higher on one side than the other

Save yourself the future headache and re-level the tank. IMHO, even if that means a complete tear down.
Cutting the slot's deeper won't make the potential for a seam burst any less.

OP
OP
R

reefwreck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its only half inch been like that awhile just thought i might could do something while i was waiting on bulkhead

vertigo01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my opinion but being unlevel by 1/2" or more is way too much and is a problem waiting to happen. I would be nervous if my tank were out 1/16".

vertigo01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so how would level it on one side
Assuming that the house foundation is built above grade and is older. You may be best served in finding out how and why that section of the floor settled 1/2" more than the section a couple feet away.

Could be that the floor joist is sagging or other underlying problems.

Has the flooring always been that uneven in said area or did this happen only while the tank has been set up?
I know that able grade flooring is notorious for not being level but 1/2 over a couple feet leads me to believe something isn't right.
I am not a builder nor contractor so my opinion is just my cautious nature so take my suggestion for what it's worth.

Maybe someone who has dealt with the issue before can chime in.

OP
OP
R

reefwreck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its always been that way the guy who set it up 10 yrs ago said it would be fine so never really thought it until i wanted to increase flow for triton method it kinda seeps from high side

MaiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Level the stand. Mine is off a bit, but I cut boards pie shaped to level the stand. My house is old and settled on that side.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.9%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 166 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back