Water powerhead to strong

Rodolfo Garcia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what's up guys, im going to make this quick and simple. My 20 gallon saltwater tank has a powerhead that is rated about 2100 liters per hour which equals out to about 25-30x gallon overturn . Is that too much? My fish dont seem to be blown by the current but on the other hand my peppermint shrimp seems to have a hard time swimming around when he finally does come out of his hiding spot. I do plan on introducing hardy begginer corals in the near future so i wanted to keep a current in my aquarium. Any advice guys

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what's up guys, im going to make this quick and simple. My 20 gallon saltwater tank has a powerhead that is rated about 2100 liters per hour which equals out to about 25-30x gallon overturn . Is that too much? My fish dont seem to be blown by the current but on the other hand my peppermint shrimp seems to have a hard time swimming around when he finally does come out of his hiding spot. I do plan on introducing hardy begginer corals in the near future so i wanted to keep a current in my aquarium. Any advice guys
That might be a little much if you shrimp is getting blow around. Yes we do want a lot of flow but not to were are inhabitants are struggling to move.

let get some more input from others:)

OP
OP
R

Rodolfo Garcia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He does not get blown around but seems to have a hard time swimming against the current. I currently have deadspots and was thinking of maybe even adding another powerhead that i have. That will equal out to 50x gallon overturn but come to think of it that sounds like way to much current. How do you guys avoid deadspots? Do yall just siphon out deadspots?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont look at the XX turnover. Look at the flow with your eyes. a littl dust etc or food will help. An SPS will take a TON of indirect flow, a zoa not so much.
You can slow the flow a bit with an anemone guard https://www.google.com/search?q=ane...yT1O3TAhUGymMKHWLCAZMQsAQIMg&biw=1920&bih=950
Or by aiming it at the top of the tank. It actually moves more water that way quite often.
Also depending on the brand the PH will likely slow down a bit as it breaks in.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might want to choose types of corals you intend on keeping, study their flow requirements and then calibrate your powerhead, filter, etc. flow accordingly. I think the health of your corals should be the most important factor in your decision, not the powerhead you currently have. BTW, can your powerhead be dialed down? This would give you some more options as to the corals you'll have success with.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back