Water question

Lou Raffael

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I've been trying to get my tank up and running for a long time. Had some delays with life, kids, etc... Anyway, I'm finally getting water in the tank, I have 30 gallons pre-mixed salt water in marine safe dark blue 5 gallon buckets in the basement that have been sitting for a few months. I'll make the rest with fresh RO water. I don't believe the water in the blue jugs had evaporated and the salinity is about 1.24 maybe 1.25 in them. Question is can I use this water or does every bucket I pour into the tank have to be spot on 1.26 on the refractomer? I am adding water in order to get the bacteria going on the rocks so there won't be any fish but I still don't want to go through this entire process just to realize the water is no good later when I get things going. Thank you all for your help and suggestions.

loweryphil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cycled my tank with no fish just live rock at 1.019 as i ran out of salt. Brought it back up to 1.025 with more salt the next pay day (a month later) and everything was fine.

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can go ahead and use that water. Once the tank is full and has mixed for a few hours though go ahead and test the salinity again. Make any adjustments if need be. GL.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be more worried about water quality than specific gravity with the water that sat.
But to your specific question...yes its totally fine to use. I usually make up mine at 1.024 or 1.025 and natural evaporation takes it up to 1.026 before I top it off.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back