Water, Rock, Sand

Raineforrest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was reading a post on Facebook in the wee hours of the morning and I realized that I had not even thought of the order in which to add the water, rock, and sand into a new tank. There were some very mixed opinions on this subject. What order do y'all think they should be added?

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I don’t think it matters for the tank process. But personally I like the rock on the glass 1st so no burrowing creatures get crushed as it settles later. Sand 2nd otherwise it could potentially just make a mess while adding it. And I guesss that leaves water last.

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Place your rock in first, so it sets on the bottom of the tank, Can add some Putty to help stabilize it, you do not want it rocking or moving. Then add your sand.

I usually put a dinner plate on the sand and add water on top of the dinner plate, this helps prevent water from moving all my substrate around. a small sand bucket works well also like a kids beach toy.

lex8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for rock first. I was so glad I read about burrowing creatures toppling rock work before starting my tank. My pistol shrimp has moved my entire sand bed around, and has multiple entrances to the tunnel network. Didn't think about adding putty under the rocks- that's a good idea- but everything is still in place.

Sand next, water last was the way I did it. I put down the empty bag of sand under the hose while filling. This will help minimize disruption of the sand when the water starts flowing in.

Attachments

• bl-31424-fill1.jpg
    bl-31424-fill1.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
Raineforrest

Raineforrest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Place your rock in first, so it sets on the bottom of the tank, Can add some Putty to help stabilize it, you do not want it rocking or moving. Then add your sand.

I usually put a dinner plate on the sand and add water on top of the dinner plate, this helps prevent water from moving all my substrate around. a small sand bucket works well also like a kids beach toy.
That is a great suggestion! I was trying to figure out the best way to add water without kicking all of the sand up. Thank you!

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unlike others here who have said to add rock first, I only do that if the rock I am using has a planed flat side. Like this:
1714813273710.png

If not, contrary to popular belief, it's better to put sand first and then twist the rock back and forth a few times till you feel it touching glass... This fills in all the nooks and crannies that are underneath the rock making it more stable.

Water always last. I will have to try the plate trick, but I usually put the hose on the top of one of the rocks and let it trickle down which doesn't move a ton of substrate... I'll have to see if the plate trick works better

OP
OP
Raineforrest

Raineforrest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for rock first. I was so glad I read about burrowing creatures toppling rock work before starting my tank. My pistol shrimp has moved my entire sand bed around, and has multiple entrances to the tunnel network. Didn't think about adding putty under the rocks- that's a good idea- but everything is still in place.

Sand next, water last was the way I did it. I put down the empty bag of sand under the hose while filling. This will help minimize disruption of the sand when the water starts flowing in.
That's a great idea too! Thank you for sharing!

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always filled tank with rodi, check for leaks. Add salt in running tank, then sand. Sand into water water will cloud tank for days. But after changing many filter socks, all the finest particles from sand are removed(no dust clouds when sand disturbed later). Then twist and push rock into sand. I use live sand and this seems like the best way to clean the sand without killing it and spread its goodies throughout the tank

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I must be the backwards one as I add water first, not a lot but some, the sand, then as mentioned above I will position the bottom of my rock work by working it into the sand until it is solidly placed on the bottom. This allows me to turn the rocks allowing all the air to escape and not have it trapped under the rocks. Also allows the sand to be settled, and as I add more rock I add more water to keep it wet. This is especially important with live rock vs dry. I have always struggled to get the sand in after the rock without having it all over the rock.

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cut small sections of light diffuser (eggcrate?) To carry the load of the rocks rather than sharp points being in direct contact with the glass. Those down first, then rock, then sand.

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, what @Rjukan said. put down egg crate first. they sell 1/4" thick stuff on Amazon in a 4 pack for like $20. that way you don't risk the scratching of glass or a rock falling etc.. order depends on if you are getting ocean live rock. if you wanted to add sand after with less disturbance in the water column, get a 2", 2' pvc pipe and a large funnel. attach the two and put the sand into the funnel where it falls to the bottom of the tank through the pipe. You could also use this pipe as long as its at the bottom if you wanted to not disturb sand if it was already placed. just push some of the sand away from where the pipe is near the bottom. you can also mix the salt directly in the tank if you were doing your leak test with RODI. but keep in mind that your tank glass will be hazy from the residue for a few weeks but it will clear up. but I would def do the egg crate. I did that with my 36" square bottom using 24" square crate. the rock is only on the crate so there's a nice 6" distance away from walls and just sand there.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd do starboard, but definitely not eggcrate on a bottom. I'm not looking to create a bunch of detritus trapping compartments.

Rock always first if possible, then thoroughly rinsed sand, then water. Rock goes first so it's not sitting on the sand then crushing any sand dwellers if it shifts. Sand next because you can control it better and get it where you want vs pouring it in a filled tank.

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd do starboard, but definitely not eggcrate on a bottom. I'm not looking to create a bunch of detritus trapping compartments.

Rock always first if possible, then thoroughly rinsed sand, then water. Rock goes first so it's not sitting on the sand then crushing any sand dwellers if it shifts. Sand next because you can control it better and get it where you want vs pouring it in a filled tank.

That's why I cut it small, just where the rocks are meeting the bottom. You'd get the same trapping with or without it.
I'm not a fan of starboard for the same reason you gave.. what happens when the sand and detritus makes it's way under it from the edges?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people will silicone the edges to prevent debris from getting below.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started setting up my 150.
I put down some rock, added some water, added more rock, then sand. I still have more rock to do and sand and more water.
Rock on the glass, rinse the crap out of the sand. (No sand sandstorm)
I guess it doesn't matter what order, just do your planning.

Oh look, some water, some sand and some rock. No sand where the rock is going. Sand where I put my rock. Oh jeez, I already put water in. What a dutz I am.
There is not one way as the next post suggests. If you plan, do it any way you like.

17150494509316254559154626287628.jpg

Last edited:

bafia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rocks laid out first in the tank to your aquascape build. Then, I put in the water. Finally, I would use a pvc pipe to put in the sand directly to the bottom.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 33 19.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 131 76.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.5%
Back