Water Storage Question

clark griswold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My RODI wil be in the laundry room several rooms away from my tank. I'd like to be able to make about months worth of RODI at a time and store in something like this that is easy to move room to room and store.

https://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Commercial-1971949-Rollout-Casters/dp/B01N5D99W8

2 Questions on Water Storage

1) How do I know if the plastic is reef safe? Is that specific rubbermaid can linked from Amazon above safe to store water in?

2) Is there any problems with producing and storing RODI for a month? I'd be mixing fresh saltwater in buckets from that RODI reserve.

Thanks for any info.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My RODI wil be in the laundry room several rooms away from my tank. I'd like to be able to make about months worth of RODI at a time and store in something like this that is easy to move room to room and store.

https://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Commercial-1971949-Rollout-Casters/dp/B01N5D99W8

1) How do I know if the plastic is reef safe? Is that specific rubbermaid can linked from Amazon above safe to store water in?

2) Is there any problems with producing and storing RODI for a month? I'd be mixing fresh saltwater in buckets from that RODI reserve.

Thanks for any info.
I can't remember there is a code on the plastic for food safe. I make 100 gallons at a time I have never had any problems the container I bought was drinking water safe

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think a two-wheeled bin would be hard to move....too much weight to pull back and wheel. Might wish to consider a Brute can with dolly for moving water. I use two 32 gallon Brutes with dollies to move 25 gallons in each.

Polyethylene, for the most part, is a safe plastic to use for water storage. Brute cans are polyethylene as are salt buckets.

OP
OP
clark griswold

clark griswold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think a two-wheeled bin would be hard to move....too much weight to pull back and wheel. Might wish to consider a Brute can with dolly for moving water. I use two 32 gallon Brutes with dollies to move 25 gallons in each.

Polyethylene, for the most part, is a safe plastic to use for water storage. Brute cans are polyethylene as are salt buckets.

That's what I was thinking too. That one in the amazon link has the two big wheels in the back and 2 heavy duty casters in the front so four wheels total. I'd probably put 30 gallons in at time so about 300lbs. So you think even with four wheels that is too much weight?

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you planning anything to circulate the water? I would be concerned that stagnant water could grow molds or something. When I make saltwater for changes, I program my apex to turn a powerhead on in it for 5 minutes each hour.

OP
OP
clark griswold

clark griswold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you planning anything to circulate the water? I would be concerned that stagnant water could grow molds or something. When I make saltwater for changes, I program my apex to turn a powerhead on in it for 5 minutes each hour.

Hadn't really thought about it but I have some extra pumps if needed. I won't be storing saltwater. Just RODI. Didn't think that would be issue with fresh.

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may have more problems with RODI growing mold than with saltwater. Most airborne bacterias and molds will grow better in freshwater than in saltwater....especially if you're not near the coast.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do You have carpet between point A & point B ? Rollers & carpet don't work well together.
Also those wheels on the can shown, I think aren't strong enough to haul 300 lbs.
Red fish has the right idea. You need rollers with bearings . These are much stronger.

OP
OP
clark griswold

clark griswold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do You have carpet between point A & point B ? Rollers & carpet don't work well together.
Also those wheels on the can shown, I think aren't strong enough to haul 300 lbs.
Red fish has the right idea. You need rollers with bearings . These are much stronger.

Tile only. I ended up buying a 32 gallon brute with the dolly casters. I won't fill it up past about 25 gallons which should be fine for the weight limit.

OP
OP
clark griswold

clark griswold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may have more problems with RODI growing mold than with saltwater. Most airborne bacterias and molds will grow better in freshwater than in saltwater....especially if you're not near the coast.

Thanks. That's good to know. I'll throw one of my pumps in the can.

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for any info.
I have mine a few rooms away as well, using a 33 gallon brute. I'm lazy and don't plan to lug water like that. I picked up a cheap pump and a 3/8 hose and let the pump do the work for me. I'm pumping it two rooms down from my fill area, no mess and very easy to deal with.

IMG_20180630_135032.jpg

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine a few rooms away as well, using a 33 gallon brute. I'm lazy and don't plan to lug water like that. I picked up a cheap pump and a 3/8 hose and let the pump do the work for me. I'm pumping it two rooms down from my fill area, no mess and very easy to deal with.

Something that might be useful to you: A 1/2" union http://www.buckeyehydro.com/union-connector/
slides right on the output of the MJ1200, and then you can use 1/2" PE tubing http://www.buckeyehydro.com/pe-tubing/
to send the water wherever you'd like.

Russ

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mind if I ask why? This is my first RODI and I've never heard this.
The membrane manufacturers say that a membrane not in use for 7 days or more should be removed and placed in a preservative solution. The issue is bacterial fouling of the membrane. Remember everything past the sediment filter is dechlorinated water - there's no disinfectant (chlorine) in it.

Russ

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a 32 gal brute and wheels and I fill it up all the way and even move it if needed about 10-15 feet. I have a regular pump inside for stirring water and during water changes, I hook up a phython hose. The one I have has quick releases on the tube for suckign and a hook for refilling. Works great. I just have to pop the can-side end over the connector. I made a short tube and added a small ball valve to the end (two little fishies) and then I have a free connector end for the phython hose.

I'd like to get a bigger tank for outside and use a hose to fill the 32 gal inside but am afraid the heat and sun would ruin the water or cause algae (no real shade)

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 44 47.3%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 21 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.5%
Back