Waterbox REEF LX 330.7 build

Pufferlover95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plan is to upgrade my Red Sea Reefer 525XL to a Waterbox Reef LX 330.7. Both tanks are FOWLR. With all the knowledge I've learned since starting this hobby and now I get the chance to restart, I felt it was a good idea to detail this journey and share it with fellow enthusiats.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Pufferlover95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update 7/6/23:

Everyone always talks about the cost of a new tank but forgets that when doing a large upgrade such as this, all new equipment must be bought. This new tank has more than double the water volume of my previous tank, so re-using old equipment just isn't going to work. Plus, now is the time to do some upgrades that maybe I was hesitant to do previously and now I have an excuse (or at least that's what I'm telling myself).

Previous equipment:
  • Aquatop 18w UV x1
  • BRS 600w titanium heater x1
  • IceCap CO2 Scrubber x1
  • Lifeguard Turbo Side Flow Reactor x1
  • Neptune A2 Apex and EB832 x1
  • Neptune COR 15 x1
  • Neptune Dos x1
  • Red Sea RSK 300 Skimmer
  • Red Sea ReefDose 4 head x1
  • Red Sea ReefMat 1200 x1
  • Red Sea ReefWave 45 x1
  • Tunze refugium light x1
  • Viparspectra 300w reef light x1

OP
OP
P

Pufferlover95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a waterbox reef lx 340 myself! Great system, and I love it.

Curious... You said you have a FOWLR system? What is being added by all those dosers?
Truth be told when I first started in this hobby I was a bit of an equipment junkie and figured I would need to dose elements, so that’s why I purchased it. Obviously without corals that’s not necessary.

However, I am glad that I purchased it because I still use it daily. I dose NoPOx daily spread out through the day. Also, I had a nasty run-in with ich and I have too many large fish that I cannot pull them out and quarantine them, and I also do not want to go to the headache of trying to dose copper in the display tank, with all of the live rock and sand, so I am trying the in-tank hydrogen peroxide dosing method recommended by Humblefish. This method requires me to dose large amounts three times during the day and literally every 15 minutes overnight, so this can only be accomplished with a minimum of two dosing heads. Since I am also destroying the bio filter with hydrogen peroxide, I’m using the fourth dosing head to add beneficial bacteria regularly. Overall, I’m making very good use of this dosing pump considering I’m not using it for what I thought I would in the very beginning.

OP
OP
P

Pufferlover95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update 7/7/23:

The tank and stand have arrived at my LFS, now to set a delivery and install day.
IMG_1288.jpeg

OP
OP
P

Pufferlover95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7/7/23 continued:

Well, if after purchasing a $9k tank didn’t make me broke, purchasing the equipment needed definitely did BUT! It’s an investment. Obviously going cheap on this tank was not in the cards. Do it right the first time so I don’t have to go back and fix it later.

IMG_1291.jpeg

OP
OP
P

Pufferlover95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update 7/12/23:

The plan for lighting was originally to use a Radion multi-light track system on the sides of the tank and have 2 Skys. I found out yesterday due to the tank’s Eurobrace the mounting system will not work.
IMG_1353.jpeg

Instead, I have decided to use the standard RMS arms and purchased a 3rd Sky.

Also, delivery and set up is scheduled for this Friday.

OP
OP
P

Pufferlover95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update 7/13/23

The big day is tomorrow and I’m very excited! I will be having my LFS deliver and install the tank and hopefully by the end of the day have everything in it minus the fish. The house is a mess with things all over to ensure it has the room to not only move a large tank out but bring an even larger one in.

Stay tuned!

OP
OP
P

Pufferlover95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7/14/23 6:30pm

All the main parts have been set up, now to fix all the Neptune and Mobius programming. Took about 6 hours from start to finish.
IMG_1409.jpeg

IMG_1411.jpeg

IMG_1413.jpeg

Huge shoutout to @Living Reef Orlando for putting in the work today!

Between old tank removal and new tank install they really did a great professional job. This was definitely a huge undertaking and they did everything just right.

More pictures to come when additional equipment/lights are set up and the water isn’t cloudy, lol.

Attachments

• IMG_1413.jpeg
    IMG_1413.jpeg
    141.4 KB · Views: 85

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back