Ways to identify ..... Sparkles

Torqueroll

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just returned from a trip and my better half makes the comment, 'the flame angel has sparkles all over it in the night lights.'

Uh oh, dang it.

Ive noticed he loves hovering all over the cleaner shrimp. Reminds me of Nemo, or a dog saying oh yeh oh yeh right there and there....

You can't see the spots in white light though when the blues and uv are turned up for awesome coral colors he looks like he is wearing disco clothing. I can't get a pic of it but he is less than 10 days in this tank.

OP
OP
Torqueroll

Torqueroll

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes eating well. We have two other fish a snowflake and lawnmower. Ive broken out the SLR and iPhone 6+, can't get a pic in normal light of anything on him. Confused.

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would worry you might be seeing the sheen from velvet but with no pictures it is hard to tell.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would worry you might be seeing the sheen from velvet but with no pictures it is hard to tell.

^^Velvet is my concern as well. Does it look as though he is completely covered in dust? This dust may look gold colored if viewed at the right angle and under the right spectrum of light. A fish with velvet may also breathe heavy, seek relief by swimming into the flow of a powerhead and act reclusive (velvet makes them sensitive to light).

OP
OP
Torqueroll

Torqueroll

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a long discussion with the LFS and they told me I should cool my jets. The dots I am seeing only under certain lights is more than likely scales. There is nothing that I can see under normal light, he (she) eats like a pig and gets along great.

OP
OP
Torqueroll

Torqueroll

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it bloomed on him and he looked like he is cover in dust, woke to find him hyperventilating on his side at the bottom. Lead astray by the LFS. These are horrible pictures. It was only when the blues became a major light source that you could see it. D23m, ignorance sucks.

What to do?

I have a snow flake and a lawnmower as other fish,

IMG_0036.JPG IMG_0040.JPG

OP
OP
Torqueroll

Torqueroll

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's velvet! You need to get all fish out into a qt ASAP and begin treatment.
I don't have a QT. How much time do I need before I can throw, place my fish in the QT after purchase, do I need to cycle it up?

And

Can the Flame be saved or is he doomed, lying at the bottom on his side hyperventilating?

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point no don't cycle the tank. I would get the tank, heater, filter (remove carbon) an ammonia badge, and bottled bacteria. Set up the tank and move them. Figure out which method you can treat them with and get those meds as well. You will be doing wc to keep ammonia down.

Last edited:

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a QT. How much time do I need before I can throw, place my fish in the QT after purchase, do I need to cycle it up?

And

Can the Flame be saved or is he doomed, lying at the bottom on his side hyperventilating?
As for the flame do an immediate fresh water dip on him.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Naiad has it right. Get the remaining fish out ASAP and start treatment. The link he provided is really good info. Your going to need to leave your display fallow for 6 weeks.

OP
OP
Torqueroll

Torqueroll

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point no don't cycle the tank. I would get the tank, heater, filter (remove carbon) an ammonia badge, and bottled bacteria. Set up the tank and move them. Figure out which method you can treat them with and get those meds as well. You will be doing wc to keep ammonia down.
Thank you.

Dip complete and the flame is sobering up. Don't know if it will succeed but....

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have an air pump and stone it might ease the angels distress until you can treat as the problem is the gills are full of parasites making it hard to breathe. They don't show up on the outside until the gills are full.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^All good advice above. When you say you have a "snow flake", do you mean a Snowflake Ocellaris Clownfish or Snowflake Moray Eel? It's important because eels typically don't handle copper well, whereas most clownfish do.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 91 48.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%

Back