We are all suckers!

ReeferSamster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
potentially good news?

wait for the planned obsolescence ................:oops:

I doubt reef light manufacturers will pass down the increased technology.
Most likely they will make it more expensive and add features such as add kalkwasser drips and changing the water in the LED fixture.

It would be great if they added a turret with a Lased diode to shoot aiptasia on the LED fixtures

ReeferSamster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look. I know I talk too much. God tells me everyday to shut up. (so does my wife) One of my many character flaws.
But I have good intentions. I really do.

EugeneVan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The freshwater hobby is about the animals and often breeding the animals. Having lots of tanks and stuff like that. You wont do that with 500 or 1000 dollar lights. The saltwater hobby is more about having the "gear". People literally think in this hobby that if you DON'T buy the most expensive gear available then you are basically neglecting your precious corals and saltwater fish. The emphasis isn't on the science or teaching about the basics. It's all about selling that cool new gear and shaming people that don't participate in that. Just my opinion. I've done freshwater for a very long time and just getting in salt for the past 2 years or so.
Totally agree. I was keeping freshwater discus for few years. Almost everyone from the freshwater world agree they are one of the most beautiful fish as well as most difficult fish to keep healthy and alive. I have them when the are in a quarter size till they are 7 inches in diameter. As long as you know what they need (clean water by lots of water changes). You don't need any fancy toys and equipment to keep them alive and healthy.

Attachments

• D3.jpg
    D3.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 21
  • D2.jpg
    D2.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 24
  • D6.jpg
    D6.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 25

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone else feel like we are all getting ripped off buy reef lighting manufacturers??
I mean really! It doesn’t cost the company any more money to produce the spectrum LED’s that we require vs the white LED’s you can buy in a shop light for instance!
I picked up two of these 24”x16” lights with a decent design and full of LED’s from front to back and it cost $99 each!
All it would take is instead of all white LED’s if there where blues mixed in it, it would be a great reef light!
Now I know there’s gonna be a bunch of lighting experts chiming in with their two cents saying “this cost more or that cost more, the LEDs are different they’re more expensive”
I’m not buying any of it! It would be a very minimal increase to do what we require for reefs versus what they do for a shop lights!
The fact that we all spend top dollar on these lights nowadays is just ridiculous!
$1000 per light, in comparison to the size shop light I got for $99.
thats nearly any industry, just the way the world works.

OP
OP
365reefing

365reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did anyone else notice the $100 increase to radions since I’ve posted this lol

OP
OP
365reefing

365reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also noticed the philips coral care lights are no longer listed on BRS! Anyone know why that is?

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did anyone else notice the $100 increase to radions since I’ve posted this lol
Almost a grand for a freaking LED light. I'd upgrade the topic from from suckers to fools when it comes to ecotech. Don't be stupid Neptune and jack up the price on the Sky. This is your opportunity to gain some market.

Chibeatz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using 2 300 Vipars for my 200 gal reef tank. I took out some of the white LED and replace them with blue and violet LED. On the blue light I am on 76%. White light on 23%. All my SPS are growing fine with good color. I used a DIY diffuser that I buy from Homedepot which cost me $30. No more disco lighting ;)

Pic3 (1).jpg
Sir, how high do you have your light over the tank ?.. I currently have 1 300w with DYI diffuser over my 75gl at about 22inch from top of water, blue channel set to 45% 8hr and white at 1% 4hr. I had the blue channel set to 75% at first and it was bleaching my coral. I been running the new 45% setting for about 1 month now and my coral are getting their color back.

zuri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those lights are priced high due to the shear mass of whales entering the hobby don't forget all the high-end corals they burn over the year than the eventual resale where they are taken. When the sharks on here smell blood in the water of these whales they wait them out to get the very lowest possible price. suckers thought they could resale whole ha
sure back in 2016 we fooled ourselves with crowd funding RND that time has come and gone

zheka757

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can drive honda to work, i can get a loan and buy a ferrari and drive it work work... bottom line is one looks cooler then the other one, but they both will get you where you need to be, and in the end both will break. only question is, do i spend 30k or 200k on a car?

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also noticed the philips coral care lights are no longer listed on BRS! Anyone know why that is?
They phased them out when they brought in the Sky. I figure they can’t sell the competition to their “house” brand. Plus the Sky uses technology from the Phillips so they pushed it out.

EugeneVan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sir, how high do you have your light over the tank ?.. I currently have 1 300w with DYI diffuser over my 75gl at about 22inch from top of water, blue channel set to 45% 8hr and white at 1% 4hr. I had the blue channel set to 75% at first and it was bleaching my coral. I been running the new 45% setting for about 1 month now and my coral are getting their color back.
My light is 17 inches above the water. I start the blue channel at 30% 6hr and white channel at 3% for 4hrs. On my white channel I took out 6 of the white LED and replaced them with blue LEDs with different wavelength. I increase 3% on blue channel and 1 % on white channel as well as adding 7 more minutes every week until my final setting. Yes, those 300W are very bright and I am sure you can grow the most demanding SPS without issues.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 46 21.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 160 73.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.6%
Back