We think we had Brook and not ich. Can anyone confirm this is Brook?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was this Brook? Skin or slime coat had started sloughing off/rapid breathing started after initially looking like classic ich. Was treating as ich, but then the Brook symptoms rapidly ensued and we lost them quite quickly one after the other. We are devastated.
B8F0AEFA-1A0A-465E-B333-CCAC012B6779.jpeg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Brook, no doubt. The other fish appear to have flukes.
The most noticeable symptoms of Brooklynella is the heavy amount of slime that is produced by a fish that has contracted this parasite. As the disease progresses, a thick whitish mucus covers the body. This will usually start at the head and spread outward across the entire body. Skin lesions appear and it is not uncommon for signs of secondary bacterial infections to arise.
Treatment of choice is formalin. Typically a standard formalin solution is mixed with either fresh or saltwater in a separate treatment container. Initially, all fish are given a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration, followed by continued treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank (QT). Of course, the longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment, the more effective it will be at eliminating this disease. API quick cure is best or else ruby rally pro.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief may be provided by giving fish a FW BATH OR DIP. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brook, no doubt. The other fish appear to have flukes.
The most noticeable symptoms of Brooklynella is the heavy amount of slime that is produced by a fish that has contracted this parasite. As the disease progresses, a thick whitish mucus covers the body. This will usually start at the head and spread outward across the entire body. Skin lesions appear and it is not uncommon for signs of secondary bacterial infections to arise.
Treatment of choice is formalin. Typically a standard formalin solution is mixed with either fresh or saltwater in a separate treatment container. Initially, all fish are given a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration, followed by continued treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank (QT). Of course, the longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment, the more effective it will be at eliminating this disease. API quick cure is best or else ruby rally pro.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief may be provided by giving fish a FW BATH OR DIP. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Thank you for confirming. Fallow is minimally 6 weeks while still feeding inverts/coral/anemones, correct? Would it be best to add bottle bacteria after the fallow period before slowly starting over with new fish? Or should feeding all those listed maintain the bacteria sufficiently in the meantime?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thank you for confirming. Fallow is minimally 6 weeks while still feeding inverts/coral/anemones, correct? Would it be best to add bottle bacteria after the fallow period before slowly starting over with new fish? Or should feeding all those listed maintain the bacteria sufficiently in the meantime?
I never oppose additional bacteria

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was this Brook? Skin or slime coat had started sloughing off/rapid breathing started after initially looking like classic ich. Was treating as ich, but then the Brook symptoms rapidly ensued and we lost them quite quickly one after the other. We are devastated.
B8F0AEFA-1A0A-465E-B333-CCAC012B6779.jpeg
I’m seeing more and more concurrent diseases. The clowns likely have Brooklynella, but it looks more like Cryptocaryon/ich on the mandarin. Don’t forget though, with uncontrolled ich, the discrete spots go away and are replaced with a mass of thick mucus. What did you do to control ich?
Jay

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 14.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 95 47.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 65 32.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.5%
Back