& we wonder why people put tangs in small tanks

ks_reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not only are there lfs out there who care only about making a sale, but I get a magazine in the mail ( wont name names but its an aquarium sales catalog) & in the section selling nano tanks there is a picture beside the description and price. In the picture of a 30g nano tank is a yellow tang, hippo tang,& a clown. Sad really. Its no wonder new people get confused.

DSP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People shouldn't stock there tank based off what they see in a magazine or what 1 person at a store tells them though, It only takes 5 minutes to research whether the tang will work for the persons tank, But I agree that's wrong they put that on a magazine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ks_reeftank

ks_reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U right it only takes a minute to check, especially with smart phones. But there are lots of impulse buys or bad information out there. Check 10 different sites or vendors and you likely to get as many diff answers on what fish goes in what size tank

reeffirstaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see magazine ads like this often. It is very hard to find a local fish store, or retail chain store, that gives honest, upfront and realistic advice. Sometimes a small LFS owner wants to make a sale, and a retail chain store's attendant knows little about marine aquariums. Ads like this make it very easy to mislead people, especially if they have a child asking for that fish, while pointing to the magazine ad.

Dendro Dude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and let's not forget Hollywood who knows how many clownfish that Finding Nemo movie got killed or how many dogs 101 Dalmatians sent to dog pound. Maintaining saltwater aquarium involves just a little bit of Chemistry and Dalmatians the horrible with small kids not bitting but they're so high energy they just knock kids over & beat them up trying to play.

veselym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one thing I hate is when people say..."well he is small now and I will upgrade when he gets bigger"

you are not fooling anyone!!

Seagars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
because they can. if you think about we are doing some harm taking animals out of the ocean and putting them in much smaller environments. JMO

jesterisdead

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And your tacos look like the pictures and the ads and so does your pizza.

Its called food art and big money in it. Who wants to buy a tank with a damsel in it.....lol!

Connie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A trend of generalization on this thread makes it seem like ALL LFS's are just out for a buck with no regard to livestock. I have to take up for the local fish stores here in my area. Sure they want to make money, but they WILL NOT sell you a fish or invert if you don't have the right environment. When I was just starting out in the hobby, I wanted a dragonette, a tang, this and that, but they made me wait. I've been in their stores and heard them talking to other customers. They always ask the customer questions about their set up. I think there are a few LFS that give the rest of them a bad wrap, but most of them do have scruples and I appreciate them. :smile:

Last edited:

jesterisdead

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A trend of generalization on this thread makes it seem like ALL LFS's are just out for a buck with no regard to livestock. I have to take up for the local fish stores here in my area. Sure they want to make money, but they WILL NOT sell you a fish or invert if you don't have the right environment. When I was just starting out in the hobby, I wanted a dragonette, a tang, this and that, but they made me wait. I've been in their stores and heard them talking to other customers. They always ask the customer questions about their set up. I think there are a few LFS that give the rest of them a bad wrap, but most of them do have scruples and I appreciate them. :smile:

Here here....my local LFS is staffed by experienced reefers that will answer all your questions and guide you thru the process.

Marshall O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
because they can. if you think about we are doing some harm taking animals out of the ocean and putting them in much smaller environments. JMO

Smaller environments where there is no threat of predation, storms, and a magic hand that feeds every day...

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 32 21.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 108 73.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back