Weeping willow toadstool base of stalk twisted and narrow... insights please

mixedtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I have a weeping willow leather toadstool. The base of the stalk has become very narrow and twisted. It's now half-way attached to a wood peg. The coral is bent over and not longer upright. Should I cut the base of the coral to give it a steady stalk to stand on? It was at the bottom of the tank, I move it off the sand bed because the rocks where sticking to the coral and it looked like it was causing injury. I moved it up on a rock in the middle of the tank today.

If I should cut it and reattach, would you mind explaining the process to me. I've never done it before. Thank you so much for your time.
IMG_5198.JPG
IMG_5199.JPG
IMG_5200.JPG
IMG_5202.JPG
IMG_5203.JPG

Stealthreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had them do that for no apparently reason and then completely recover most of the time.
Never figured exactly what was going on. Hows the rest of the tank looking?
Based on the picture it looks like you moved him from the substrate to the rockwork, move him back since he was happier there and see if that get it. If that fixes it then don't put him back in that spot.
IT could be too much flow, could be too much light, these toadstools today are super hardy, if nothing else looks different I would lean light or flow being the cause.

OP
OP
M

mixedtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had them do that for no apparently reason and then completely recover most of the time.
Never figured exactly what was going on. Hows the rest of the tank looking?
Based on the picture it looks like you moved him from the substrate to the rockwork, move him back since he was happier there and see if that get it. If that fixes it then don't put him back in that spot.
IT could be too much flow, could be too much light, these toadstools today are super hardy, if nothing else looks different I would lean light or flow being the cause.
Thanks for your response. Rest of the tank is good. Okay I will move him back. Does he need something to lean against tho? I'm wondering since the bottom of the stalk looks damaged is it affected its ability to stand upright.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.8%
Back