Weird oils on top of sump water possibly algae also

DSFa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I’ve just noticed a strange layer of ‘ oil ‘ on top of my sumps water level, i had syphoned it out previous night but seem to came back next day just as much.

Only change i’ve had was adding a refugium to my sump (reefer 170) I have a cheap ebay light on at 12 hrs a day opposite my DT light schedule.

There seems to be abit of algae maybe growing near the pipe?
What is the oil like film and do i need to get rid of it?

Thank you in advance!

C2DF1934-0952-4796-A5B6-0082242502F6.jpeg 738D2C23-7705-41FD-AF17-0D5B6A0DDAE2.jpeg 181E0086-BB49-4403-A044-ABD55536A7AD.jpeg

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's all kinds of oils from your hands and food you feed. They're usually mixed in with the water and removed by filter floss or a skimmer. I can't tell your water levels in the sump with such close up photos, but I'd guess your water levels might be too high in the sump and leaving the surface without enough agitation, so the stuff never gets carried away with the water.

OP
OP
DSFa

DSFa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't done anything different in the past year besides the fuge, so it's strange that it's showing up now right after adding a fuge, I've never had algae in my sump before so maybe that's from the light despite my best efforts to block off my fuge tank by blacking it out. Sump level is automated through a in built float valve so it should be at the right level. Hope it dissapears soon with abit of cleaning but it looks so oily has me worried. Hopefully as you've said the skimmer takes it away.

Thank you for your insight! :)

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get that in my return section where the water kinda "sits". As above it's the oils from your hands, and the food we feed.

Put a small powerhead in your sump and it will go away.

OP
OP
DSFa

DSFa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get that in my return section where the water kinda "sits". As above it's the oils from your hands, and the food we feed.

Put a small powerhead in your sump and it will go away.
Gee my hands oily then haha
Alright i’ll give it a shot see if it clears out tomorrow.

Great to know it’s not something harmful I can sleep tonight thanks alot guys! :D

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 60 32.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 49 26.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 38 20.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 20.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back