..Weird Tank Size... Fish? Reef casa flat 9

Hugo_Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys !

I'm trying my best to do my research on which fish/s I should get. the problem is the tank height is only 7 inches. its very easy to look up "what fish for a 10 gallon tank" but the results will be most likely be for a standard 10 gallon tank. This limits me to anything that stays at the bottom which is cool I do like gobies. I do understand I am very limited when it comes to the amount I can have but I also would like something that, well swims.. The tank I am talking about is a Reef Casa flat 9 which is 19wx18Lx7H.

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
As for swimming around, I think a lot of gobies and blennies may spend a little too much time hiding. That being said I think their quirks can make up for that. A pistol shrimp paired with a goby are really awesome to watch, but they spend a lot of time in their caves. A tail spot and bicolor blennies are cool. Bicolor does however lose most of its tail color as it matures.

Ruby red dragonet are enjoyable and move around enough that you get to see them most of the time.

Short tank like that is going to be a jump risk so I would consider a lid of some type.

OP
OP
Hugo_Fish

Hugo_Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short tank like that is going to be a jump risk so I would consider a lid of some type.

Im making a DIY Lit currently have all the stuff just been working on something else

As for swimming around, I think a lot of gobies and blennies may spend a little too much time hiding. That being said I think their quirks can make up for that. A pistol shrimp paired with a goby are really awesome to watch, but they spend a lot of time in their caves. A tail spot and bicolor blennies are cool. Bicolor does however lose most of its tail color as it matures.
I need to look at the diet of some of these smaller gobies and bennys. I'm not looking for something that requires as much as a special diet as others. Maybe in the future. I have no problem with the limitation of just gobies and bennys was just wondering if there is something out there that I wasn't thinking about.

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I have possum wrasses in my uncovered 10” tall lowboy Frag tanks. Smaller
Clowns. I have a pair in my 110 Wyoming storms that are over a year old and still less than 1 1/2” inches if that.

ajax969

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at a firefish but would it have a enough room ?
I think if you went with one or two firefish you would have room but I would be cautious about adding much else. I would think a goby/pistol pair and a couple "swimming" fish would be about it for space.
That's assuming rockwork gives them the hiding spots they would be looking for.

OP
OP
Hugo_Fish

Hugo_Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
never had a firefish before.. do they require a large swimming area or are they more shy and stay in one place? don't know how to ask the question... currently looking them up

ajax969

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't get very big, I think about 3" tops. They will swim around or just kind of tread water, for lack of a better way to put it, then dart back into their hiding spot when they get spooked by something/someone walking up to the tank.

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Might check their “placement”. Ours hover in the top third of the tank unless they dart back into their hiding spot. Cool fish if they will work as they are out a lot. The orange and white are the least expensive and we love how their dorsal fin twitches. My daughter named ours twitch, stitch and glitch.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
never had a firefish before.. do they require a large swimming area or are they more shy and stay in one place? don't know how to ask the question... currently looking them up
Firefish are incredibly easy, they generally stay low when new into the tank but when settled they can go into the upper levels.
They don’t need a huge swimming area as they tend to just hover in one area.

Another fish I’d recommend is the Pink Streaked Wrasse, they stay small, hunt pests and also tend to hang out close to the rocks. These guys are easy in care but can be harder to get hold of.
I currently have 1 (he was paired and I do plan to pair him again) however I’ve had 5 in total. The first photo was 1 year ago of when I got my trio and the second is of my first one I ever got as a mature male.
IMG_2248.jpeg

IMG_0182.jpeg

OP
OP
Hugo_Fish

Hugo_Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firefish are incredibly easy, they generally stay low when new into the tank but when settled they can go into the upper levels.
They don’t need a huge swimming area as they tend to just hover in one area.

Another fish I’d recommend is the Pink Streaked Wrasse, they stay small, hunt pests and also tend to hang out close to the rocks. These guys are easy in care but can be harder to get hold of.
I currently have 1 (he was paired and I do plan to pair him again) however I’ve had 5 in total. The first photo was 1 year ago of when I got my trio and the second is of my first one I ever got as a mature male.
IMG_2248.jpeg
r
IMG_0182.jpeg
I want a wrasse.. but I do not have anything for them to hunt.. and I'm not sure what other foods I can use until I can grow a colony of pods..

OP
OP
Hugo_Fish

Hugo_Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used dry rock and dry sand why I say I don't have anything for them to hunt. I'm tempted to go to my LFS to buy some live rock rumble as I do not need much.. just unsure how if will effect the tank.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want a wrasse.. but I do not have anything for them to hunt.. and I'm not sure what other foods I can use until I can grow a colony of pods..
Frozen, almost all wrasses adapt to prepared foods incredibly fast. In fact, by the time you get them from an LFS generally they are feeding, the only time this isn’t the case is usually with Anampses, Pseudojuloides and Macropharyngodon

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used dry rock and dry sand why I say I don't have anything for them to hunt. I'm tempted to go to my LFS to buy some live rock rumble as I do not need much.. just unsure how if will effect the tank.
LR rubble will affect the tank in a positive way and will boost any microfauna already growing. It will also lead to a mix of varied microfauna and bacterium.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 30 21.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 100 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.3%
Back