Welcome to all the fun: setting up a 12 foot reef tank

Daveobrien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait! I am behind on updates. I will blame Reefapalooza NY.

I did some tinkering with the shields, rotating them around to different positions around the clockface. Very counterintuitive but we got them to certainly improve things at (face on) about 22:00 hrs. Running 50% now with just a bit of sand moving. We will see. File might be too big to watch.
It's funny - I found my shields worked best in the same rotation position you found. Glad they're working better.

A while ago, I watched a video of a 22ft tank. I remember they talked about flow challenges as well. It's a longer video from BRS, but might find additional inspiration.

2,000gal SPS Dominant Reef Tank Tour in Minnesota?! The BIGGEST in-home saltwater tank on BRStv!​

OP
OP
S

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's funny - I found my shields worked best in the same rotation position you found. Glad they're working better.

A while ago, I watched a video of a 22ft tank. I remember they talked about flow challenges as well. It's a longer video from BRS, but might find additional inspiration.

2,000gal SPS Dominant Reef Tank Tour in Minnesota?! The BIGGEST in-home saltwater tank on BRStv!​

Thanks. I had seen it before but it was worth another watch.
That is an amazing tank and those guys produce some quality videos. Do wish they went deeper on the mechanicals and flow particularly for this setup. Like how they did the closed loop flow in the center, up from the bottom.

Tplummer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done a lot of stupid things in my life, and this might not have made the top 10, but it was close. Leverage is a miraculous thing especially when the lever is 12' long. But we only had three guys.

Two of us got one end up to waist level, the third kept it there while we repositioned in a squat so we could push the end up onto the 4' tall stand. We repeated the process on the other side.

While I hated working against that extra foot of height when lifting, I gotta say having the reef at eye level is going to look great. Check it out:

IMG-4975.jpg
IMG-4978.jpg
I think i need to switch banks! Very cool

OP
OP
S

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a meeting today with their IT guy, trying to convince him to run ethernet to the cabinet. WiFi keeps dropping and the APEX won't reconnect until I go reboot it.

OP
OP
S

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think i need to switch banks! Very cool
Thanks! It was a pretty bold move on the part of management. I am going to guess they've spent $60-70K all in by now. They wanted a cool "water-cooler" space for the employees to informally talk and exchange ideas. Every time I am there, people are hanging around the tank arguing about names for the fish and pointing out new corals that I keep gluing in.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IT ran an ethernet cable for the APEX and I plugged it in today. @SuncrestReef do I need to "reinstall" the APEX or anything else? Or does it just look there by default?
If the Apex was already set up using WiFi, then there’s nothing more to do when you plug in the network cable. The Apex will automatically detect the network cable as its primary connection, and if the cable is disconnected it will revert back to the WiFi connection.

OP
OP
S

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the Apex was already set up using WiFi, then there’s nothing more to do when you plug in the network cable. The Apex will automatically detect the network cable as its primary connection, and if the cable is disconnected it will revert back to the WiFi connection.
Your continued service to the R2R community is greatly appreciated. When I say to people "I know a guy" I am speaking about you. If I miss-gendered that my apologies; it is just a recognizable/funny thing to say. I am all for a few laughs.

While I have you, can you take a look at this bit of instruction? Some version of it may have come from you actually. We had a little "incident" today with water on the floor and got lucky. This is meant to shut down pumps when water hits the floor. I copied it to the two return pumps and the skimmer pump today. When tested, it seemed to work. The "LK**** names are the leak detectors.

Set ON
If FeedA 000 Then 10
If FeedB 000 Then OFF
If LKLEFT CLOSED Then OFF
If LKRIGH CLOSED Then OFF
If LKMID CLOSED Then OFF
If LKRODI CLOSED Then OFF

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your continued service to the R2R community is greatly appreciated. When I say to people "I know a guy" I am speaking about you. If I miss-gendered that my apologies; it is just a recognizable/funny thing to say. I am all for a few laughs.

While I have you, can you take a look at this bit of instruction? Some version of it may have come from you actually. We had a little "incident" today with water on the floor and got lucky. This is meant to shut down pumps when water hits the floor. I copied it to the two return pumps and the skimmer pump today. When tested, it seemed to work. The "LK**** names are the leak detectors.

Set ON
If FeedA 000 Then 10
If FeedB 000 Then OFF
If LKLEFT CLOSED Then OFF
If LKRIGH CLOSED Then OFF
If LKMID CLOSED Then OFF
If LKRODI CLOSED Then OFF
Ha! Yes, you got the gender correct, as noted below my screen name on my profile: "That Apex Guy"...

Your leak sensor code looks correct. The only thing I'd add is a Fallback command in case the Apex is ever out of communications and cannot process the leak code. If you want the pump to keep running, use Fallback ON. If you'd rather turn it off when the Apex is unavailable, use Fallback OFF. Keep in mind this could be caused by a disconnected AquaBus cable, any time the Apex is rebooted, or in the rare event that the Apex ever locks up.

Also, I always recommend placing leak sensors on a layer of paper towel to prevent false alarms due to simple condensation or certain surface textures. In the event of a real leak, the paper towel will saturate and trigger the leak sensor.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firstly, this system is not my own. I am merely an assistant to the building, stocking, and maintenance process. I will list my functions later in the thread for anyone who gives a fish-poo about it. Spoiler alert: I only have to do the fun/interesting parts. Mostly, anyway.

Second, it is not as big as it sounds. Just thought the title was a “grabber”. It is only 2’ high and 2’ wide so 330G or so.

This is an install for a local bank. My LFS has been servicing a cute little 3’ shallow reef there for a couple years, so this is a nice upgrade to go along with their new construction offices.

This will be a dual overflow peninsula install, serving as a divider wall between customer lounge space and employee lounge space. The original design was several magnitudes larger, but dealing with the weight was a change order too far I guess. The tank will be on the third floor. Honestly, I am a tad glad the scope stepped down into a realm I am comfortable with. I have experience with all the life support equipment required for this system.

So I mentioned the third floor. How would you move a steel stand measuring 12’ X 4’ X 2” up three flights of stairs?

Stand going up.jpeg
12 footer LEETSGGGGOOOOO!

OP
OP
S

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some time tomorrow afternoon, my son and I will be placing the next round of coral. Everything I have placed before seems very happy with the lighting and chemistry -- including the acros and branching hammers.

Had the bandsaw going last week, cutting up a huge Duncan and huge torch from my frag system. Both were about 8" in diameter. I thought it would take a week for them to settle down, but they all looked super happy the next day with the better flow/light.

Here is what I plan to stock with tomorrow. Lot's of glue and putty work.

July Install
SpeciesCount
Zoa 2"3
Zoa 1"3
Purple Stylo Lg2
Purple Stylo Med1
BubbleGum Digi Med2
BubbleGum Digi Sm2
Hammer 4 head1
Duncan 10 head1
Duncan 15 head1
Bali G Slimer Lg1
Bali G Slimer Med2
Yeti Anacropora Med1
Golden Barrel Med2
Golden Barrel Lg1
2 Head Torch1
1 Head Torch1
PC Rainbow Acro Med4
Tricolor Paletta Acro Lg2

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My gosh crazy build!

maugustine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done a lot of stupid things in my life, and this might not have made the top 10, but it was close. Leverage is a miraculous thing especially when the lever is 12' long. But we only had three guys.

Two of us got one end up to waist level, the third kept it there while we repositioned in a squat so we could push the end up onto the 4' tall stand. We repeated the process on the other side.

While I hated working against that extra foot of height when lifting, I gotta say having the reef at eye level is going to look great. Check it out:

IMG-4975.jpg
IMG-4978.jpg
Wow !!cant wait to see it built out. Thx so much for sharing.. how much will it weight with the B water in it? I m So l still a newbie

OP
OP
S

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow !!cant wait to see it built out. Thx so much for sharing.. how much will it weight with the B water in it? I m So l still a newbie
The water alone is 3,200lbs. With tanks & stand add 900. Plus 200lbs of live rock so around 4,300 lbs.

Obviously, it is a lot of weight, but it is spread over a long span of 12 feet. The engineer did approve the weight.

The original specification was NOT approved. It was enormous with 3X this volume. While it would have been interesting to build out, honestly it would've been well beyond my expertise.

OP
OP
S

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies for the poor quality (blue) video. Not my forte obviously, but it gives you some idea.

There are a couple dozen fish in there now. Maybe a handful of wrasses to go.
As to coral there are about 30 pieces or so with a lot to go still. This is only one side of the peninsula, but the other side is very similarly stocked. I have a few more torches, duncans, zoas and acros to go.

OP
OP
S

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The guy who now services the tank reported some new slime with bubbles, so I went today to check it out. Got a sample of the slime as well as a clean water sample. Nitrates & phosphates came back 0/0 so that pretty much told me the snot was dinos. Got the sample under the scope and sure enough: ostreopsis.

So here is what we are going to do:
a) skip the WCs for a couple weeks
b) have the skimmer release skimmate
c) dose some sodium nitrate and trisodium phosphate

I would also like to slow down the flow through the UV but will have to make some plumbing changes to do so. The current setup has the pump driving BOTH the UV and the chiller and I don't wanna slow the flow through the 1 hp chiller. The UV is properly sized at 114W but the flow is too fast to kill dinos.

OP
OP
S

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for an update. System continues to run well with one annoying exception. One APEX leak sensor repeatedly closes, then opens, then closes... Have cleaned it, moved it and tried a few things but I think it needs to be replaced. Interrupting my beauty rest.

We have a few more fish in there now including a big Koi Tang. Of 28 fish, I think we only lost one. Coral livestock continue to do very well -- even the SPS -- with one exception. The Pavona Maldevensis pieces are not happy. It is either too little flow or too little nutrient which we continue to work on.

We've been dosing NO3 and PO4 up to measurable levels, so the dinos are no longer visible. I know they are lurking though.

So the tank has been wet for 10 weeks now with no UGLIES to speak of. Who thinks we might just get by without them?

OP
OP
S

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it seems that the nutrient dosing is coming to a close as we are keeping nutrient levels measurable and the dinos have retreated for now.

Still no uglies to report which is nice. A lot to be said for starting with 200lbs of live rock.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly very little to update on. The construction tradesmen around here are completely overbooked and understaffed.

They did get the wall built and the electrics installed. Not sure about the water hookups. But we are stymied again as the carpenter did not work from our drawings. What should be the open "canopy" space above the tank is not framed properly. There is no space to hang the darn lights! One more expensive change order.

There was an earlier comment in the thread about potentially unsightly proportions on the tank -- not being tall enough. Well, now that the tank in enclosed, I kinda have to agree. Another 6" of height would be a significant improvement. But it is what it is.

IMG-5207.jpg
That's gunna look awesome with lights and coral and fish!

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last tank pictures for now. Will take a couple days to top off the tank and the sumps. Ideally Wednesday we would get everything fully up and running, but sadly, I have a golf outing that day. Aiming to drop in some fish on Friday if everything checks out OK.

IMG-5188.jpg
IMG-5190.jpg
I knew it! :)

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 38 67.9%
  • Neither.

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 7.1%

Back