Wetmorella nigropinnata courting?

saltyunderground

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two Wetmorella nigropinnata (yellow band possum wrasse) in a 150g tank along with one Wetmorella albofasciata (white band possum wrasse). The larger yellow band and the white band have been together for about 5-6 years. They have always gotten along great until recently. I added a small yellow band last November.

In the last two months the larger yellow band has begun to be aggressive toward the white band even biting a chunk out of its tail. I am not sure what is going on. They are in a community reef tank with a lot of space.

Then a couple of evenings ago at about 5:30PM I noticed the two yellow band wrasses high up in the water column and in an area of higher flow swimming up and down. The larger fish appeared to be trying to guide the smaller fish around by pushing on its back with its mouth. The smaller fish was a very deep gray color. This is a color I have never seen from these fish before.

Does anyone know if this might be a courting demonstration? Could this also be the reason that the larger yellow band wrasse has been aggressive with the white band wrasse?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Murfman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were spawning. That is typical spawn behavior in Wrasses. You might want to take the white banded one out. They yellow one may try and kill it.

OP
OP
saltyunderground

saltyunderground

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are moving to a 300g display tank in the next month or two. Do you think that is enough space for all three to co-exist? I hate to remove a fish I have had for 5 years. Especially a small fish like this one.

If I have to I can move it one of our coral holding systems I suppose.

Murfman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that I have a small Solomon island Damsel in my 300 and that fish is the most aggressive of my tank. It goes from one end of the 300 to the other end (8') to check out fish that it thinks might be in its territory. It killed all of my green Chromis too.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 86 44.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 68 34.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 27 13.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back