What’s growing on my snail?

nomad6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newbie here, seen it get larger over past few weeks there’s two growths on it, Thoughts???

F68C3E5D-5341-462D-AD26-9A98A21BD520.jpeg 427CF37E-D67F-468D-96F3-81A228307925.jpeg 5A743C7B-161D-41A9-908A-933C207284AF.jpeg

TaylorP78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly a bivalve or some other filter feeder, they are pretty harmless but if you are concerned you can try to crack the shell of just the stowaway

OP
OP
nomad6

nomad6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a little concerned this thing has tripled in size in a month. I tried scraping it off and it receded almost into the shell. Doesn’t seem to be harming the snail but there’s 2 of these on it.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As was stated above, they’re probably filter feeders, so the only concern to your snail is if they get big enough to prevent it from moving. Snails are surprisingly strong little creatures, so I wouldn’t be too concerned honestly. The hitchhikers on the shell would likely have to both get very large to really weigh the snail down enough to cause problems (in fact, some species of snails intentionally decorate their shells by cementing other shells and such to their shells for defense and/or camouflage - sometimes the shells they cement on are larger than or comparable in size to their own shells).

Also, you likely won’t be able to scrape it off. Many bivalves and relatives cement themselves in place when they settle, and some of them produce cements strong enough that researchers are looking at ways to either utilize the naturally produced cement or to make it themselves. You would most likely have to either syringe something into the hitchhikers’ shells that would kill them, or do as suggested above and try to break open the shells of the hitchhikers without breaking open your snail’s shell. In my opinion, those endeavors would likely be more dangerous to your snail than leaving things as they are.

Just my two cents on the matter.

OP
OP
nomad6

nomad6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As was stated above, they’re probably filter feeders, so the only concern to your snail is if they get big enough to prevent it from moving. Snails are surprisingly strong little creatures, so I wouldn’t be too concerned honestly. The hitchhikers on the shell would likely have to both get very large to really weigh the snail down enough to cause problems (in fact, some species of snails intentionally decorate their shells by cementing other shells and such to their shells for defense and/or camouflage - sometimes the shells they cement on are larger than or comparable in size to their own shells).

Also, you likely won’t be able to scrape it off. Many bivalves and relatives cement themselves in place when they settle, and some of them produce cements strong enough that researchers are looking at ways to either utilize the naturally produced cement or to make it themselves. You would most likely have to either syringe something into the hitchhikers’ shells that would kill them, or do as suggested above and try to break open the shells of the hitchhikers without breaking open your snail’s shell. In my opinion, those endeavors would likely be more dangerous to your snail than leaving things as they are.

Just my two cents on the matter.
Thanks for the info I was really concerned. I’ll just let it be unless it starts inhibiting movement then I think I will do something about it. I appreciate your input

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 184 73.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back