What’s on your captive bred fish list?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree 100% with potteri angelfish. Not only they are rare these days but very underrated as far as angelfish! Also not the easiest to establish so would be great to see someone aquaculture it.
Here is the next question- assuming someone can produce some of the wrasses, say the Tamarin wrasse on top of the list, what would be an acceptable top dollar for you?
The Chrycosephalus I probably wouldn’t go over £200 ($250) for a CB one - I wouldn’t even spend over that for a WC specimen. I had the chance for a Chrycosephalus juvenile that was thriving the week before Hawaii shut and I didn’t take it… I thought it would be best waiting into the future and that backfired.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the next question- assuming someone can produce some of the wrasses, say the Tamarin wrasse on top of the list, what would be an acceptable top dollar for you?
For Chrysocephalus, looking at what some stores sell similar but less pretty species I’d say a CB could well go for several hundred or more. Not saying I’d pay that much but I think that would be the market price so long as Hawaii is closed. I see femininus going for thousands, unfortunately I think we may see similar.

Last edited:

MariahP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny you should mention- even though many consider blenny to be basic, they are my wife’s favorite. She thinks they are cute and full of personality.
I 100% agree with her. When I first started this hobby yeaaaars ago I had an algae blenny and he was one of my faves. Such goofy little faces and personalities.

OP
OP
Coralsdaily

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Chrycosephalus I probably wouldn’t go over £200 ($250) for a CB one - I wouldn’t even spend over that for a WC specimen. I had the chance for a Chrycosephalus juvenile that was thriving the week before Hawaii shut and I didn’t take it… I thought it would be best waiting into the future and that backfired.
I considered posting a Hawaiian ban lifted post here today for April fool lol

OP
OP
Coralsdaily

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biota and Vossen are both working on potters angels. It I’ll likely happen at some point.
I look forward to see that happen! I already have a gold flake and two regals from biota. I hope potter will hve success soon

OP
OP
Coralsdaily

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I 100% agree with her. When I first started this hobby yeaaaars ago I had an algae blenny and he was one of my faves. Such goofy little faces and personalities.
Another thing about blennies is they have the appetite of a puppy- all the blennies I have are among the fattest fishes. So much so that their body look more like a cylinder than a fish, with a bloated stomach that they’d wobble while perched

mchans

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im setting up a new 40g tank soon and looking to go mostly captive bred. I only say mostly because I dont believe Pistol shrimp are available captive bred and am going to pair one of those with a ORA watchman goby.

Without having all the details the full list will be.
2 - Pygmy filefish ORA Captive bred. (Available seasonally, soon I might add)
1- Yellow watchman goby ORA captive bred (readily available)
1- Biota Forktail Blenny (seasonally)
2 Bangaii Cardinalfish ORA captive bred (Readily available)
Loved my Forktail Blenny

ultraArcite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think biota has them, you should check them out. But yes n general for cleaner wrasses. They are such active fish and beautiful
I'm not OP, but I think had them is the correct word. I've been following Biota for 2 years and they've been out of stock the entire time. I emailed them about it a year ago and they said that it's their most popular request and they're working on it ‍♂️

ultraArcite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested to hear everyone’s wishlist on captive bred fish. Hopefully we can start a heated discussion and eventually a poll to help inform our beloved captive breeding facilities where to focus next.

here is a list of my own, most of them Hawaiian simply due to the fact of unavailability. Others are just tough to keep when caught from wild:
Masked angelfish- availability
Bandit angelfish- availability
Potter’s angelfish- availability
Moorish idol- challenging
Achilles tang- challenging
Copperband butterflyfish- challenging
Pyramid butterflyfish- availability
Watanabe angelfish- availability
Leopard wrasses (varied species)- challenging
Crosshatch triggerfish- availability
Clown tang- challenging
Sohal tang- challenging
Gem tang- availability

most of the fish above are slightly larger ticket items and should be profitable to the breeders should they choose to invest.
Let me know your thoughts and what’s on your list!
I want the Copperbanded Butterfly fish that was finally captive-bred awhile ago... I haven't seen any available for sale yet :( There also used to be ORA Flame Angels but I did some research and the guy that bred them died and no one learned his secret :/

OP
OP
Coralsdaily

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not OP, but I think had them is the correct word. I've been following Biota for 2 years and they've been out of stock the entire time. I emailed them about it a year ago and they said that it's their most popular request and they're working on it ‍♂️
kinda wish Biota (along with many others) do better job merchandising the site to either fog out, or move the out of stock items to the bottom of the page. Sometimes I see something I get excited only to realize it is out of stock.

OP
OP
Coralsdaily

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was browsing through some marine creature site the other day and just remembered I thought it would be amazing if someone can captive breed Sea Dragons & Pygmy seahorses. I know there are plenty of seahorse breeders out there, but so far I have not seen anyone with success for the above, understandably so since they are already hard to come by even for wild caught.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was browsing through some marine creature site the other day and just remembered I thought it would be amazing if someone can captive breed Sea Dragons & Pygmy seahorses. I know there are plenty of seahorse breeders out there, but so far I have not seen anyone with success for the above, understandably so since they are already hard to come by even for wild caught.

I believe sea dragons are captive bred but they are cool/cold water which the USA doesn't seem to have much demand for.

Edit: yes they are, Ocean Reef Aquaculture Australia has a ton of captive weedy sea dragons. They have videos of entire vats of them on their facebook.

Leafy & Weedy Seadragons
Kuda & Briviceps Seahorses
Port Phillip & Mollison's Pipefish

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarin dragonets are available via biota, but I think they only offer the squigly kind, not the spotted ones.
Biota do all 3 ‘types’ of mandarin :)
The Reds (S. splendidus)
The Blues/Greens (S. splendidus)
The Spotted (S. picturatus)

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biota do all 3 ‘types’ of mandarin :)
The Reds (S. splendidus)
The Blues/Greens (S. splendidus)
The Spotted (S. picturatus)

You sure? I only ever seen the blue from them and that is all that is on their website.

ORA does spotted.

I don't think I have ever seen the red available captive. Could have been a one and done though.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sure? I only ever seen the blue from them and that is all that is on their website.

ORA does spotted.

I don't think I have ever seen the red available captive. Could have been a one and done though.
I might’ve missed up ORA as I know they do all 3 types of Mandarin but I believe Biota did the Spotteds a while ago.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might’ve missed up ORA as I know they do all 3 types of Mandarin but I believe Biota did the Spotteds a while ago.

I think only the blues and spotted are available with any consistency, blues more so. ORA shows the red's are not currently available.

Tony Thompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are absolutely CB Gobies! All yasha gobies in captivity are likely to be CB, and most common species we keep will likely have a CB counterpart.
I think you will find its the opposite, The vast majority of Yasha in captivity are wild collected. Although sometimes available as CB , its not particularly common. Gobies are a huge range of species, only a tiny amount are available CB.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 119 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 95 34.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 43 15.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.8%
Back