What’s the best way to plumb UV?

Zotmurse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all-

I’m in the early planning stages of a new build and I need some advice regarding plumbing a UV unit.

It seems like there are two popular ways to plumb:
1) Put it on its own dedicated return pump

or

2) Run it off a manifold coming off the tank’s primary return pump

It seems to me like it would be a lot easier to dial in and maintain the UV fixture if it’s on its own pump. Running it off a manifold would negate the need for a 2nd pump, but seems like it could get a tad hairy when tweaking the flow going out to other devices (reactors, etc.)

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi, i have always used dedicated pump w valve to slow at times if needed :)

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either way would work....both can be dialed down. I personally use a dedicated pump with a control dial so I know, approximately, how much GPH I am pushing through. It is harder to figure out coming off a manifold without a flow meter.

hellsangelbx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm Looking for @Bulk Reef Supply to make a new video on this. Looking at their videos they mentioned running it at your final step of filtration as when the water went through all the phases and ready to hit your return pump and as it leaves the return pump their is a manifold that you can dial in for the flow rate that is needed and feeds back into the return line into your tank.
Obviously you would need to know if you want your UV to help out with Algae or Protozoa dial it in and set it and forget it. Hope this helps

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brs did two or three videos on uv, maybe it's in one of those? My method is off a manifold, the return goes to a chamber where the second return pump goes straight up to the tank, so I'm not recycling the sump water. 2 pumps for the returns and one does manifold duty and return, while the other is just a return. I don't have a flow meter, but that would be ideal.

Ribo15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to BRS the best method is a separate pump set to the correct flow rate with both in and out lines plumbed to the display tank.

WillH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would put it on its own dc pump to control flow rate or on manifold for accessories. I would also recommend mounting it standing up to make it super easy to change bulb.

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, standing up is best. The 40w pentair unit is super long though. The higher watt unit is shorter, but either is a real pain to mount. I had to put my 40w lying down because it's over 4' and 3" diameter. They're no joke for size. Changingtthe bbulb iis aa real pain. Unions and ball valves are almost a necessity to avoid spills when changing the bulb.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,just to add ,laying down can cause trapped air pockets:)

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 66 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%

Back