What’s this?

JBenton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are these? They came on some live rock I purchased and I don’t have reef lights yet but they are growing fairly quick, the ones with the longer “tentacles”. I also posted what I believe are some zoas on the same rock, any one have a clue what those ones are also?

IMG_0006.jpeg IMG_0003.jpeg IMG_0005.jpeg

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first looks like the standard big brown palythoa. The other to me looks like pink and gold zoas under non reef lights. Both are PROLIFIC growers and the palys make a good deal of palytoxin reportedly so be careful when handling

OP
OP
J

JBenton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first looks like the standard big brown palythoa. The other to me looks like pink and gold zoas under non reef lights. Both are PROLIFIC growers and the palys make a good deal of palytoxin reportedly so be careful when handling
Would there’s be something I should consider removing or will they just stay in the rock their on? This rock is isolated to itself. Not sure if I want just a brown paly. The other glows port nicely under just straight blue light so I don’t mind that one so much.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would there’s be something I should consider removing or will they just stay in the rock their on? This rock is isolated to itself. Not sure if I want just a brown paly. The other glows port nicely under just straight blue light so I don’t mind that one so much.
Pink and golds are very pretty and good on an island. Under more reef lighting the paly may end up with a green center, but it'll mostly stay that color ime (maybe a little pale white on the inside). It all comes down to your preference. If you do remove it use gloves in a ventilated area and do it underwater so you aren't exposed to palytoxin

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 30.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 49 36.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back