What am I missing

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That green on the sand looks more like cyano as a result of nutrient issues (too low, imbalanced) than anything else. I think you might have gone too far with the NOPOX. Did the sand turn that way once your phosphates started reading 0?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had 4 or 5 orders from reecleaners now. Always alive, cheap, and more than what was advertised that I would get.

There are plenty of ways out there. No need to downgrade one over the other.

Most snails are accustomed to high and low tide areas. Damp cloth is all that's required for shipping.
I've used them 3 times with lots of dead and terrible customer service so I can share my opinion and let individuals make their own informed decision. They suck and plenty of thread posts have agreed on here. But I'm glad it works for you

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HELP! I CAN’T get rid of this green algae!

90 gallon saltwater tank, approximately 16 months old using 2 FluvalSmart Marine&Reef 1100mm lights, using the sunrise to sunset setting. I have been fighting a hair algae/ green algae for the past few months.

Last week removed all live rocks and scrubbed off all the hair I could while trying not to damage my bubble tip, star polyp and feather worms…and although the hair is significantly less the green on the sand and glass comes back EVERY dang DAY! I probably have 50 Nassarius snails 20 or so hermit crabs and a tuxedo urchin. Now the green is much darker and isn’t going away when the lights are off. Couple of pics attached

My most recent water test on 4/22/24 In the past 2 months I’ve tried:
Calcium 420ppm. Dr Tim’s Refresh
Alkalinity 10dkh. Microbe-Lift Algaway 5.4
Phosphate 0ppm. NO3 PO4 X
PH 8.0
Ammonia, Nitrite & Nitrate all 0ppm
Salinity 1.26

image.jpg image.jpg
The algae on the sand might not be hair algae. It could be cyanobacteria. Can’t really tell from photos.

Just wondering what the snails are eating if they aren’t keeping the rocks free of hair algae. Are you sure the growth on the rocks is a hair algae?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HELP! I CAN’T get rid of this green algae!

90 gallon saltwater tank, approximately 16 months old using 2 FluvalSmart Marine&Reef 1100mm lights, using the sunrise to sunset setting. I have been fighting a hair algae/ green algae for the past few months.

Last week removed all live rocks and scrubbed off all the hair I could while trying not to damage my bubble tip, star polyp and feather worms…and although the hair is significantly less the green on the sand and glass comes back EVERY dang DAY! I probably have 50 Nassarius snails 20 or so hermit crabs and a tuxedo urchin. Now the green is much darker and isn’t going away when the lights are off. Couple of pics attached

My most recent water test on 4/22/24 In the past 2 months I’ve tried:
Calcium 420ppm. Dr Tim’s Refresh
Alkalinity 10dkh. Microbe-Lift Algaway 5.4
Phosphate 0ppm. NO3 PO4 X
PH 8.0
Ammonia, Nitrite & Nitrate all 0ppm
Salinity 1.26

image.jpg image.jpg
Who sunk the battleship?
The algae looks like it might be blooming around the battleship, which is common as iron can be a limiting factor in the ocean. Looks natural to me, and I would let the tank ride.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 26 25.2%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 21 20.4%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 12 11.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 37 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back