What am I not understanding about the Apex controller (or similar $730ish controllers)

javajaws

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But what automation? I use my Kasa power strip as a simple way to turn off/on what needs to for feeding, water changes, etc. It's convenient but I don't see it is "automation" The only "automation" that I have on my setup is the ORP controller turns on/off at the set ORP level. However, it's not even run like that as it is set on a schedule via the Kasa app.

There a hundred reasons why a controller is a good thing and not just wanted but NEEDED by many. Those things magnify in importance based on what is at stake ($$) and your available time to sit in front of the tank and babysit it.

If you don't see the need then you aren't the target user, its as simple as that. And that's nothing to be ashamed of - it just is what it is. When you reach the point of being frustrated with failure or the inability to control or automate something you didn't see a previous need to control or automate you will then realize how important such controllers can be.

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ultimately, to each their own.

I ran a reef tank off a 6 position power strip. I’ve also used a used Neptune AC3 and have an Apex Jr ready for my new setup. It’s about what works for you.

officialreefbros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really see both sides of it. On one had its expensive and on the other it's almost like an insurance policy since we tend to have a lot of money invested in our coral/tanks.

Personally I have a Kasa smart strip and built a Homeassistant esp device to monitor temperature.

I'd base it off of how much you have invested in your tank to justify what route you go.

But at the end of the day it comes down to if you just want it or not. Some people like to go all out when things could be completely excessive. The one example I saw was someone running a filter roller, shimmer, fuge, algae scrubber and then dosing nutrients to keep it from bottoming out. It just comes down to whatever you want to do!

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But what automation? I use my Kasa power strip as a simple way to turn off/on what needs to for feeding, water changes, etc. It's convenient but I don't see it is "automation" The only "automation" that I have on my setup is the ORP controller turns on/off at the set ORP level. However, it's not even run like that as it is set on a schedule via the Kasa app.

Sorry... Perhaps "automation" was a poor choice of words.

When I think of Apex, I always think dosing. And when I think dosing, I think automation.

SPSReeferMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally love the automation. I find it entertaining to create new features to automate silly tasks.

Example: when I hit feed mode, it turns down the flow across 4 power heads and the return pump. Better than that it automatically skips the next automated feed (I use the plank 3x per day). That way I swap a frozen food feeding for a less nutritious pellet feeding. I do this across both of my tanks and value keeping the fish and corals fed whether I’m around or not.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 30.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back