What are some medications I should pick up while visiting the US as a Canadian?

OP
OP
T

Tathamet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oddly, the Internet is unclear about this (imagine that!). Pepper spray is illegal in Canada, but pepper spray labelled as bear repellent, *is* legal?

Jay
Yeah I think it’s a bit of a grey area/loophole to get it lol. i think you can buy it that way but you’ll still get into trouble if you’re caught with it in public.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oddly, the Internet is unclear about this (imagine that!). Pepper spray is illegal in Canada, but pepper spray labelled as bear repellent, *is* legal?

Jay
This was pepper spray used for let's say a mugger/robber (which as you say is considered a 'weapon') For some reason bear spray (which is the same ingredient for all I know) - is allowed.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bear spray is less concentrated, surprisingly.
Wow this thread has really changed - LOL - but I think the OP's question was answered lol. But: "

Is pepper spray more potent than bear spray?

Standard pepper sprays have around 1 million SHUs, while bear sprays pack 3 million SHUs, so it's about three times as potent as the self-defense products. It's also dispensed more widely and forcefully, the experts agreed."

But the funny thing to me was the idea my wife had that 1) she was going to succeed in lying to the customs people and 2) that she was going to stand close enough to an attacking grizzly to spray this little inhaler like thing. (she had one for the 5, 7 and 10 year olds as well

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow this thread has really changed - LOL - but I think the OP's question was answered lol. But: "

Is pepper spray more potent than bear spray?

Standard pepper sprays have around 1 million SHUs, while bear sprays pack 3 million SHUs, so it's about three times as potent as the self-defense products. It's also dispensed more widely and forcefully, the experts agreed."

But the funny thing to me was the idea my wife had that 1) she was going to succeed in lying to the customs people and 2) that she was going to stand close enough to an attacking grizzly to spray this little inhaler like thing. (she had one for the 5, 7 and 10 year olds as well

Finally, the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) regulates bear sprays and bear spray marketing. Currently the EPA requires that the concentration of Capsaicin and related Capsaicinoids range between 1% and 2%.

That being said, bear spray also contains a lower concentration of oleoresin capsicum (often referred to as Capsaicin) than pepper spray or OC spray.

Since bear spray isn’t as potent, you wouldn’t want to use it on humans. Self defense pepper spray is much more effective.

It’s also important to note, the EPA has deemed bear spray a pesticide and has authorized use only on bears, not humans.

I think we need BRS TV to investigate.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While we were working for the international boundary commission to survey the border between Canada and the United States we could carry bear spray. Get this we carried shotguns but could not carry hand guns for Bear protection. Most of the crew was Hispanic and were not allowed to stay in Canada overnight so we had to camp on the US side of the line. That particular section was under direction from Canada. The international boundary commission is a joint project between Canada and the United States. We had to transport the crews everyday by helicopter. Kind of an amazing experience. Just interesting the differences between Canadian and US border patrols.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that with a veterinary prescription, you can get all of those medications in Canada. I believe that some sites also ship to Canada. Have a safe trip in any case

Unfortunately it’s very, very hard to get vet care for our pet fish in Canada. At least in my province (I’ve seen online fish vets in Ontario).

My tang was dying and they wanted me to bring it at the only existing facility, on a three hour drive. Then they would have done a biopsy to determine the needed meds. 300$-400$ later I would have drove back home with a most likely dead fish from all this stress.

In Canada, the Veterinary college has decided to ban all fish medications and antibiotics, without providing citizens a way of treating their pets. Utter incompetence or lack of judgment. In any case, it’s a shame.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Unfortunately it’s very, very hard to get vet care for our pet fish in Canada. At least in my province (I’ve seen online fish vets in Ontario).

My tang was dying and they wanted me to bring it at the only existing facility, on a three hour drive. Then they would have done a biopsy to determine the needed meds. 300$-400$ later I would have drove back home with a most likely dead fish from all this stress.

In Canada, the Veterinary college has decided to ban all fish medications and antibiotics, without providing citizens a way of treating their pets. Utter incompetence or lack of judgment. In any case, it’s a shame.
Without defending (or not ) the decision of the government. IMHO - it's coming in short order to the US - based on recommendations from the health authorities.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without defending (or not ) the decision of the government. IMHO - it's coming in short order to the US - based on recommendations from the health authorities.
We will have to find other solutions in the meantime.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 112 43.1%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 124 47.7%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 3.1%
Back